• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ45 (1 Viewer)

Wildmoreway

I found one of these on sale (secondhand!) at LCE in Paignton on Wednesday for £225, so I decided to buy it. I was told that the purchaser returned it and decided to buy a DSLR instead. A bonus was the he had paid £14 to have the manual printed out as well.

I have now had three days use of it, it does perform well in good light but in duller conditions there is slightly more noise than the FZ38 but it is bearable.

There is also a useable burst shot and although it is not marked it can be quickly accessed in the same way as on the FZ38 etc by use of the delete button and I have found that it will do up to five shots at a time in none raw settings.

because of the lens design I am able to use the TCON14 via a 52 to 46 stepdown ring without the need for an extension adapter although I have found the 24x to be adequate for almost all the shots I have taken so far.

First serious use was for shots of Black tailed Godwits yesterday, and I am happy with the results, certainly not up to DSLR + 500mm standards but good enough for me.

Only real downer so far is that the camera uses a new battery type and spare batteries are still not available even directly from Panasonic (just showing as "coming soon"). Battery life does appear to be good and I have taked circa 350 shots each day without the battery dropping from showing fully charged (I have topped up after each days shoots, but will buy a spare battery as soon as possible.).

I found one of these on sale (secondhand!) at LCE in Paignton on Wednesday for £225, so I decided to buy it. I was told that the purchaser returned it and decided to buy a DSLR instead. A bonus was the he had paid £14 to have the manual printed out as well.

I have now had three days use of it, it does perform well in good light but in duller conditions there is slightly more noise than the FZ38 but it is bearable.

There is also a useable burst shot and although it is not marked it can be quickly accessed in the same way as on the FZ38 etc by use of the delete button and I have found that it will do up to five shots at a time in none raw settings.

because of the lens design I am able to use the TCON14 via a 52 to 46 stepdown ring without the need for an extension adapter although I have found the 24x to be adequate for almost all the shots I have taken so far.

First serious use was for shots of Black tailed Godwits yesterday, and I am happy with the results, certainly not up to DSLR + 500mm standards but good enough for me.

Only real downer so far is that the camera uses a new battery type and spare batteries are still not available even directly from Panasonic (just showing as "coming soon"). Battery life does appear to be good and I have taked circa 350 shots each day without the battery dropping from showing fully charged (I have topped up after each days shoots, but will buy a spare battery as soon as possible.).

Are you not a bit worried about the weight put on the lens barrel? Might over stress the electric motor of the zoom

Are you not a bit worried about the weight put on the lens barrel? Might over stress the electric motor of the zoom

It just the same issue as the FZ28 and 38 without the adapter tube, only put the tcon on briefly, and with the 24x zoom it looks like that will be a veryy rare event.

It just the same issue as the FZ28 and 38 without the adapter tube, only put the tcon on briefly, and with the 24x zoom it looks like that will be a veryy rare event.

Yeah that doesn't sound bad putting it on now and again to get some extra reach, might even be strong enough to allow zooming although personally wouldn't like to walk around all day with it hanging from the camera like I do when I connect my tcon17 to the tube on my fz38

So, which settings are you using? And do you have experience with FZ18, can you compare output to that one?

Niels

So, which settings are you using? And do you have experience with FZ18, can you compare output to that one?

Niels

I took this shot with it around 1600 hours on Saturday, I have left all the exif info, 100% crop and 24 x zoom

p10100091.jpg

I took this shot with it around 1600 hours on Saturday, I have left all the exif info, 100% crop and 24 x zoom

p10100091.jpg

You did, but reading the info is a different story ;) What does gain control 2, contrast 2, saturation 2, sharpness 2, etc mean? was noise reduction dialed down or left at default? Sensing method 2?

thanks
Niels

I got my FZ45 3 days ago and have already taken over 600 Photos with it! I should make it clear it's my first digital camera so I don't have much to compare it to. I agree with Speckled Wood that in gloomier conditions the images are all noticeably noisy but having seen images from the FZ38 I think the extra reach is worth it for those who don't want to use TCONs.

I'm still getting used to everything on the camera and have only been playing about so can't comment too much on settings etc. But I've attached a couple of shots taken today which I'm pleased with. All were taken with noise reduction -1 and the mistle thrush shots were on macro AF I believe (by a total accident, it really wasn't that close!) The GSW shot is just to show that I could just swing the camera up, take a shot and actually manage to get an IDable shot of the bird. A macro shot and 100% crop as well just for good measure.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Camera so far. Apologies if this is thread-jacking but I saw Panasonic FZ45 and was so excited I had to post!

Attachments

• Mistle thrush crop.JPG
    Mistle thrush crop.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker cropped.JPG
    Great Spotted Woodpecker cropped.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 272
  • Mistle thrush crop3.JPG
    Mistle thrush crop3.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Macro.JPG
    Macro.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Macro 100pcrop.JPG
    Macro 100pcrop.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 213
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back