• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Croatian Butterflys (1 Viewer)

Tikli

I spent a week in Croatia in Dalmatian area 18.-25.5.

The trip was mainly focused on birding and although I had my net and ID book with me, I was able to concentrate on butterflys only on few spots.
Besides, I have only knowledge of Finnish species so the list might not be very representive. Anyone with knowledge on the area please comment.

25 identified species of butterflies:
Large Grizzled / Oberthür's grizzled skipper 5
- Did not spent practically any time looking at skippers

Swallowtail 6
- Some excellent sightings: 2 males fighting over a territory and later on a mountaintop one feeding ca. 10 minutes on yellow flowers.
Scarce swallowtail 12
- Huge rarity in Finland, so I a lifer!

Orange tip 3 males
Black-veined White ca.20
Large White 5
Small White xx
Green-veined White xx
Southern Small White 1
Eastern Bath White very common and abundant
- White Pieridae-butterflies were everywhere, but most (>90 %) I got identified were Eastern Bath Whites.

Clouded Yellow ca.15
Brimstone 5 males 2 females
Cleopatra 8
- This was the one of the best sightings in the trip for me even if you count birds - a magnificently beautiful butterfly and a lifer!

Green Hairstreak 1
Common Blue common and abundant
- Did not spent much time with Blues also. All I caught and identified were Commons.

Silver-washed Fritillary 3
Large unidentified Fritillary 2
Medium-size unidentified Fritillary 3
Marsh Fritillary 2
unidentified Fritillary (Marsh Fritillary-type) 1
Red Admiral 2
Painted Lady 4-6
Small Tortoiseshell 2
Southern Comma 1
Southern White Admiral 3
Meadow Brown common
Small Heath common

Woodland Ringlet ca.10
- In one mountain meadow, nowhere else.

Couple of other insect sightings also:
The Nine-spotted Moth common
Cream-Spot Tiger ca.5
Very beautiful black and yellow Owlfly (Libelloides)

And Rose Chafer Beetles were everywhere! They were voluntarily flying in and on my net, perhaps the white cloth attracted them. Only if butterflies would also be so cooperative...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back