• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dangling digitals....and digits!....37 years since my last visit!...May 29th-June 5th (1 Viewer)

Ken, I have tried to read where you were, but I cannot find anything more specific than a 'twenty five minute transfer by cab'. It looks just the place for my sort of birding holiday, and I have never ever been to the Balearic Islands! Thanks.

BTW, yes, Purple Swamphens are fine sights!

Great report Ken. Menorca is one of my favourite islands, although must confess haven't been back for a few years.

Some wonderful birding spots on the north of the island. Last time I was there I was lucky enough to spend a day out with local guide Javier Mendes who showed me some great birding sites.

Great report Ken. Menorca is one of my favourite islands, although must confess haven't been back for a few years.

Some wonderful birding spots on the north of the island. Last time I was there I was lucky enough to spend a day out with local guide Javier Mendes who showed me some great birding sites.

Thanks Richard glad you liked it! I've never visited the North of the Island, sounds like a good bet.

FWIW on my 1st evening at the resort we went for a stroll after dinner, on our return leg we walked past the marsh whereupon we heard this ''strange'' repeated single note call, appearing to emanate from the reeds. Never ever having heard anything like it before, I took out my phone, and in desperation held it aloft, and took some sound/video clips.

Never expecting anything more audible than (if I was lucky) a feeble faint imitation, being the start of the holiday I went to bed that night and over the course of the week promptly forgot all about it!

Whilst reviewing some shots that I'd taken on my phone Saturday 16th June, I suddenly came across the video clips, imagine my surprise (first time I'd ever used the video) upon replay, when not only had I picked up the call....but the reproduction was incredible to my ear! It constituted another trip tick albeit sound only...see what you think. :eek!:

Cheers

https://youtu.be/u6Z17BIuEUM

Last edited:
Sounds good for Scops to me but if it was coming from the reeds you'd need to eliminate midwife toad, which can be really similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m38dIuZGzys

Very good point! Birds can have a "ventriloquial" ability beyond their ken....no pun intended, the point being that there were intermittent trees on the edge of the reed bed...although it did sound like it was coming from the centre.

mmmm..I'll probably never know, either way a tick, however I'm amazed that a toad can "volumise" to that pitch....totally amazing!

Cheers

Thanks Richard glad you liked it! I've never visited the North of the Island, sounds like a good bet.

The beaches, being more secluded & quiet, do contain rather more "dangling digits" but the area is good for raptors & there's also the Es Grau wetlands. Javier also showed me another large Bee Eater colony in that area.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back