• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID help Please (north of Sweden) (1 Viewer)

tarzzz

Sweden
Hi.

1 cy birds are difficult, I think. Maybe Meadow Pipit ?

Thanks

//Ben

Attachments

• Bild 147.jpg
    Bild 147.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Bild 148.jpg
    Bild 148.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Bild 149.jpg
    Bild 149.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Bild 150.jpg
    Bild 150.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Bild 151.jpg
    Bild 151.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 60
Yes, a juvvy Pied Flycatcher. Understandably juveniles are often ignored in field guides so some suggestions to help in future -
1) When faced with a bird in an odd plumage that can't be found in field guides consider a that they may be recently fledged juveniles- for small passerines like this look for the more obvious 'fleshy' gape flanges (i.e. the 'corner' of the bill).
2) most juveniles will have pale tipped feathers, but generally resemble a 'ghosted' version of the adult plumage - hence here the give-away are the whitish edges to the teritals and coverts.
3) Also remember that, broadly speaking, bill shape will resemble that of parents - again this bill is more flycatcher-like than pipit-like - same applies to legs/feet.
4) Although tails and wings tend to be shorter, in broad terms the proportions will tend to reflect the shape of the parents.
All this takes experience, but keep looking and you'll get the hang of it

Thanks John. I always have trouble with young birds.
But Pied Flycatcher fits well in, they are all over the place.

//Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back