• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A White Robin? (1 Viewer)

PaulS34

I've been unable to identify a bird I saw this afternoon. Hope someone can help. It was feeding on the ground of the Algonquin Golf Club golf course in suburban St. Louis, MO. It was near a few robins and was behaving very similarly. The bird was also robin-sized, but white all over with minimal brown mottling. It's breast appeared to be orange, like a robin's, but I mostly saw it from the back. Most striking was when it flew away, its tail spread in a fan-shape and was white with three equally spaced bold black stripes running the length of the tail.
Any ideas?

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I'm gonna go ahead and move this thread to the Bird Identification section as it will get a lot more feedback there.

Just to clarify the stripes on the tail are running front to back? Could it have been a small raptor? Or more likely a Robin with pigmentation problems.

Just to clarify the stripes on the tail are running front to back? Could it have been a small raptor? Or more likely a Robin with pigmentation problems.

I'm still not 100% clear about the tail. Are you saying it was white with a few black feathers (= longitudinal stripes)? If so.a leucistic robin sounds like a good bet. On the other hand, if the tail was pale barred with black (stripes running transversely), then it's likely to be something else, maybe a small bird of prey (e.g., a Sharp-shinned Hawk) as you suggest.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! It must have been a leucistic robin judging from the photo links. It was most similar to this one:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/51/1...ea such a bird existed. How common are they?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back