• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdng off I-70 (Kansas, Missouri) (1 Viewer)

fugl

My wife & I will be driving to Michigan from Reno the last week of May/Early June & hope to do some birding along the way. As far as birds are concerned, terra incognita starts for us at the western edge of Kansas & the plan is to concentrate our efforts in that state & in Missouri. We'll be motel hopping along I-70 & will have about a week in the 2 states before having to push-on to our final destination.

Any suggestions regarding good birding spots in Kansas/Missouri within reasonable reach (don't want to spend more time driving than we have to) of the I-70 corridor would be gratefully received. Target species includes just about anything not easy to find W of the Utah line. Passerine migration hotspots (though I guess spring passerine migration will be drawing to a close in late May?)?. Shorebirds--Buff-breasted, Upland, White-rumped, Stilt, Baird's sandpipers, Hudsonian Godwit? Red-headed Woodpecker? Prairie Chickens? Grasshopper Sparrow? Anything I've forgotten?

TIA for any help.

Last edited:
A great place to stop would be Cheyenne Bottoms Refuge which is just north of Great Bend, Kansas. Shorebirds, waders, nesting Snowy Plovers, Least Terns, rails, possibly some migrating birds. From I-70 (near Russell, KS) this refuge is about 35 miles south on Highway 281. You could find accommadations in Great Bend, KS which is just a few miles from the refuge. I believe you could get "boat loads" of birds here. And in the month of May there is prime birding!

Then, just a few miles south of Great Bend is Quivira National Wildlife Refuge. This may be even better than Cheyenne Bottoms. You might want to make this a second day trip!

A great place to stop would be Cheyenne Bottoms Refuge which is just north of Great Bend, Kansas. Shorebirds, waders, nesting Snowy Plovers, Least Terns, rails, possibly some migrating birds. From I-70 (near Russell, KS) this refuge is about 35 miles south on Highway 281. You could find accommadations in Great Bend, KS which is just a few miles from the refuge. I believe you could get "boat loads" of birds here. And in the month of May there is prime birding!

Then, just a few miles south of Great Bend is Quivira National Wildlife Refuge. This may be even better than Cheyenne Bottoms. You might want to make this a second day trip!

Many thanks, Larry. Both places you mention sound like real possibilities, I'll see what further details I can get about them I can get on the internet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back