• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Warren Fishery 18:00 then Thameside EWT
Kingfisher pair calling on the match lake and then heard the skylark calling in the fields up to Thameside EWT, I had been waiting and it was good to hear them again.
In Birmingham at the weekend I was informed of and saw another kingfisher pair on the River Cole, this could take it up to 4 pairs on that river that I know of, possibly more.

Warren Fishery 19:00 then Thameside EWT
Saw the kingfisher and then a few new ones, a barn owl!! Over the fields of Thameside EWT. A first for me. My first swallow for the year. Heard a cuckoo, cetti's and water rail, both firsts for this year. Too many RNPs. Then 4 or 5 bearded tits which was a great repeat. These were on Stanford Warren. Great!!

Warren Fishery 19:00 then Thameside EWT
A pair of kingfisher on the Match lake then my first kingfisher flying along the creek under the footpath bridge after the Stanford Warren info board. Usually seen it further along the creek. A bearded tit on the reeds. Then on the fields up to Thameside EWT my first sighting this year of a skylark.

Warren Fishery / Stanford Warren / Thameside EWT - 19:00 yesterday.
I think the kingfisher pair gave up on the nest site they had. I did not see them around the nest but who knows with kingfisher, they can be very quiet. There was just one kingfisher present, amusing me by flying between two trees. Not fishing, just giving a call and flying to the tree top. It was then so good around the Warren I had to complete a circuit as there were a couple cuckoos calling and I had to try and see one. Saw one fly past and sit on a perch. It was over looking the reeds. Also my first chicks of the year from CG and Coots. Also I am sure a buzzard swooped past. This has now happened 3 times when looking for KF, I wish I knew what it was.

Warren Fishery / Stanford Warren / Thameside EWT - 17:00
As I stood on the path between two lakes, I could hear a chirping coming towards me. Then out of the bushes came the kingfisher and it flew overhead. It was then on the main lake calling and I could see it landing on a perch over the lake and flying around. Out on Stanford Warren I saw a Bearded tit and warblers in the reeds. I could hear the cuckoo calling and saw it land on a perch before flying off. Swallows were also present.

Warren Fishery / Stanford Warren / Thameside EWT - 18:00
Swallows are back nesting under the sluice. One was dive bombing a magpie that was hanging around. A pair of cuckoos was good to see around the reeds. There were more calling. Finally saw the kingfisher flying across the match lake. Can always hear them calling. A few skylarks in the fields. Starlings roosting. Loads more I shall have to learn what they were. It was a good evening.

Warren Fishery 19:00
This evening on the road to the fishery I could hear a cuckoo calling and then coming towards me. Then a pair flew overhead. Warblers and Bearded tits in the reeds. Kingfisher on the main lake.

A great 2 evenings down the Warren. The closest I have been to a murmuration over the fields, they were less than 100 metres away at one point. Skylarks calling on the fields, the starlings disturbing them. Then more skylarks calling and one on a fence post near the EWT centre. Warblers in the reeds. A couple people waiting for the Barn Owl to appear. A dog walker reported a Nightingale singing on the Warren corner, in the same place I saw one last year. Kingfisher on the Match lake and one flew from the main lake over my head towards the creek in the reeds, where I reckon they have a nest. GCG with chicks on the match lake, I could hear them calling from the path.

Nice evening down the Warren - kingfisher on the match lake and skylarks over the Thameside fields. A few new ones to me as well. I'm going to need bins to take a look closer.

Warrens Fishery / Stanford Warren / Thameside EWT - 18:00
First common tern of the year at the Warren for me, there was one at Langdon lake. A quiet kingfisher went over possibly a juv. Reed and Cettis warbler. Three water voles in the creek. Skylarks on the fields. Goldfinch. Swift and swallows. Great!

Loads of Skylarks on the fields. Lot's of Swift and swallows. Yesterday the kingfisher was calling everywhere. This eve saw it over the main lake. Also GWP

Warren Fishery 18:00
Over the past couple evenings heard the kingfisher quite active. This evening there were both a male and female kingfisher on the match lake, calling each other, in the trees together and doing some good flying over the lake, where they fly straight and then make a last minute turn. Got to be a nest somewhere nearby.

Warren Fishery / Stanford Warren - 18:00
Didn't get that far on my run as Thameside was closed.
Great couple of evenings with the weather. I sat back and watched the kingfisher fly from the creek at the back of the match pool, stop and fish from the trees on the match pool and then disappear to the creek. It did it a couple times then it went off to the main lake. I think the female joined in and gave chase. A common tern flew over a few times looking. There must have been a successful GWP nest as there were a few about. (Back in Brum at the weekend I found my kingfisher pair and their new nest, they also stopped in a tree right next to me, doing their two tone call which was loud!) Great!!

Reports of a kingfisher on the EWT Langdon hills lake but couldn't find it. Nice to see a pair of GCG, a tufted duck with chick and a common tern. Warren fishery had the usual kingfisher on the main to match lake, GCG with young and a GWP.

Double kingfisher sighting down at Warren Fishery, Standford-le-Hope. I was getting attacked by flying ants when a quiet kingfisher went past on the Match lake. Then a few minutes later another one went past from the creek to the main lake on Stanford Warren. There were 20 house martins over the reeds. They are nesting under the sluice. I saw what I thought was house martins mobbing a rapture the other day down at Stanford and another birder confirmed it was a juvenile sparrow hawk.

Kingfisher again on Mucking Creek on a perch before flying off towards the sluice, another on Warren fishery match lake. Young gwp and gswp flying over. Great!

Kingfishers this week on the Match lake, this evening one almost flew into me and I heard its wings flapping as it changed direction and flew off. Another on the main lake. Approx. 20 swallows flying around. Linnets in the bushes on the rougher ground. Warblers in the reeds of Stanford. GWP heard and seen across the site.

Warren Fishery / Stanford Warren 19:00
Kingfisher pair on the match lake, 2 herons, 2 little egrets, approx 30 swallows and a possible Barn owl in the distance, one has been seen this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back