• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandhill Crane in St. Louis? (1 Viewer)

PaulS34

While walking my dog this morning he and I spotted a large (40"+ tall) wading bird standing on a neighbor's patio. The bird was variegated grey. When it departed, it flew with its neck extended and with a wing motion that was fast on the upstroke and slow gliding-like on the down stroke. I can't identify any other large wading bird with these characteristics, but I did not notice a red patch on its forehead. Might we have seen a migrating Sandhill Crane?
Thanks!

Good chance, Paul
Just looked at Ebird, has been a few up by West Alton
also out in St. Charles county

Was playing golf with my dad, down in Tampa,
4 Sandhill's walked up on the green we were on, no fear of us, or people in general
Seemed to be playing through

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back