• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrant warbler for ID, Shenandoah, Virginia (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
Saw this today at Shenandoah Natl. Park. It was a great day for thrushes and tanagers. I sat at one spot in the forest for about 45 minutes and every minute there were thrushes and tanagers and warblers passing through.

Anyways, I got a fairly good look at this warbler and nothing jumped to mind. I checked my Peterson Warbler's book and it looks like it might fit for Blackpoll Warbler.

This is only the second banded bird I have ever seen (the first was an Osprey).

Attachments

• unn1.jpg
    unn1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 77
  • unn2.jpg
    unn2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 107
  • unn3.jpg
    unn3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 111
Blackpoll it is! Notice the wingbars, faintly streaked sides of the breast, and the dull lemon wash to the underside.

Also note the yellowish feet. Very cool to see a banded bird, and very rare especially on a small migrant bird like this! Are there any banding stations nearby?? It's a pity you couldn't get the number...

Neil G.

Thanks for the confirmations!

I think Patuxent National Wildlife Research Refuge operates banding stations, but they are quite a ways to the east and north of this sighting. I am guessing that if they were the ones that banded this bird, it wasn't during this fall migration.

I tried to read the number, but there was just no way. I did notice that there didn't seem to be any color coding on the band.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back