• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can " NEW " birds really get attracted by food (1 Viewer)

wildlifelove

Hopefully Birding...
Hi

I have the starlings ect on my feeders and people say NEW foods attract NEW birds!

Doe's this really happen like can food attract over birds! or is that just a saying?
I mean isn't it just birds in the area?

Obviously the birds have to be in the area before they come to the feeders. However until I offered Nyger I rarely (if ever ) saw a Siskin or Redpoll. Now Siskin equal the Tree Sparrows which are probably my 3rd commonest visitor.

I don't think they are attracted by the food but I do think it gives them a reason to visit my garden rather than stay in the nearby wood and field hedges.

I agree that there has to be a bird in the area for them to find the "new" feed. However, I feel that it only takes one to come across a new supply of food and over a period of time it will attract others of the same species. Whether they actually communicate with each other or simply follow them I'm not sure. I do know when I put mixed seed on a tray on the floor, a single Brambling started visiting it. Within two weeks the numbers had risen to around 8. Did it pass the message on?

If that is so, hoping the Goldfinch numbers will follow this single Goldfinch that comes in consitently. He normally has a mate with him, but been on his own the last few days. A real beautie, he/she is :)

I agree that there has to be a bird in the area for them to find the "new" feed. However, I feel that it only takes one to come across a new supply of food and over a period of time it will attract others of the same species. Whether they actually communicate with each other or simply follow them I'm not sure. I do know when I put mixed seed on a tray on the floor, a single Brambling started visiting it. Within two weeks the numbers had risen to around 8. Did it pass the message on?

I would suggest that this "following" or "attracting" takes place long term as well as short - in Bramblings anyway. I began a few years ago with a single bird some times. This year my peak count has been 19. I don't suppose the area has improved terribly as far as the Bramblings are concerened just more of them have "found" or "been exposed to" the source of food.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back