• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Riparia SP, Tainan, Taiwan, August: Age? (1 Viewer)

SteveMM

I thought I'd ask as it doesn't hurt to do so...

I'm interested in how contributors see the 'old' greater coverts (about ready to drop) I've highlighted in the attached Riparia martin. To me, they look like juvenile feathers on account of the broad pale fringes.

It's the same bird, BTW, just under different light conditions. By all means have a go at the ID!

Steve

Attachments

• Riparia SP (01) - Copy.jpg
    Riparia SP (01) - Copy.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Riparia SP (04) - Copy.jpg
    Riparia SP (04) - Copy.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 47
The bird in the image is one of either Pale (fohkienensis) or Collared (ijimae) Sand Martins. Small numbers show up here annually late summer and for years now I've been trying to figure out which (though I've always suspected them to be the former).

If the bird in the image can be aged as hatch-year, then the latter can be ruled out as no hatch-year Collared Sand Martin could appear so bleached (having been out of the nest for a long time), be so far on with its post-juvenile moult, and completed its (2000 km+) migration so early in the year! This would be no problem for a southerly-distributed bird that nests early.

I photographed two other Riparia SP. the same day, both uncontroversial juveniles. The second of these (not photographed terribly well) appeared only very recently fledged and surely originated locally.

Steve

Attachments

• Riparia SP (05) - Copy.jpg
    Riparia SP (05) - Copy.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Riparia SP (08) - Copy.jpg
    Riparia SP (08) - Copy.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back