• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

LazDivaz

Found this fellow complaining in the woods this morning. I think that it's a juvenile common black hawk, but others beg to differ. Please ID so that I can get on with my life!
Thanks!

Attachments

• raptorID.jpg
    raptorID.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 89
grey hawk it is...

Thanks, all. I knew I could count on a swift resolution.
Cheers
Sara
P.S. and thanks, Motmot, for the Walt Whitman quote, which I appended to my "you win, I lose" message to my gang.

Last edited:
I agree with immie Gray Hawk. In addition to the plain undertail coverts, the shape of the bird is a good field mark; slimmer and longer tail than Buteogallus species. What I find interesting about this bird is that its markings are so dark and thick that it looks a bit like a young Black Hawk. Good pic for ID issues!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back