• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID UK (1 Viewer)

impotentspider

Caught quick snaps of three birds today (22/7/11), obviously Warblers of some sort, taken at RSPB Fairburn Ings.

First one I think is a Garden Warbler?, the other two I'm a bit confused with, is the last one a Chiff Chaff?

Sorry about the poor shots these are crops of about 1/6 the original image size.

Attachments

• IMGP2779.jpg
    IMGP2779.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMGP2761.jpg
    IMGP2761.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMGP2795.jpg
    IMGP2795.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 118
Caught quick snaps of three birds today (22/7/11), obviously Warblers of some sort, taken at RSPB Fairburn Ings.

First one I think is a Garden Warbler?, the other two I'm a bit confused with, is the last one a Chiff Chaff?

Sorry about the poor shots these are crops of about 1/6 the original image size.

First one IMO is Lesser Whitethroat (tho possibly Common Whitethroat), 2nd one is Chiffchaff of Willow Warbler, 3rd one Whitethroat. That's my guesses.

1 and 3 are Common Whitethroats. I'm not sure about the second one, but looks better for a Willow Warbler.

I wish repliers to q's on ID would give details/reasons for their own ID. It does make it interesting for ALL readers ....IMHO :t:

Pic1 I think Lesser W/throat.... dark grey ear coverts with a greyer look to the overall plumage esp. wings and a hint of the pale white spectacles and darker legs.
Pic 2..I think Chiffchaff....darker legs than WW and shorter primaries not extending beyond rump.... as opp. to WW
Pic 3 I think Com W/throat as opp. to Pic 1 the wings are browner, the legs paler with a white edge to the tail.

Cheers Joe

BTW the pics are very good

Last edited:
No's1 and 3 agree with everyone else.
See where you are coming from with no.2 Joe but I think the primaries are appearing short because of the posture of the bird. The dark legs aren't really a problem as quite a few WW have legs as dark as CC.
For me the super is just too long to be a CC.

I wish repliers to q's on ID would give details/reasons for their own ID. It does make it interesting for ALL readers ....IMHO :t:

Pic1 I think Lesser W/throat.... dark grey ear coverts with a greyer look to the overall plumage esp. wings and a hint of the pale white spectacles and darker legs.
Pic 2..I think Chiffchaff....darker legs than WW and shorter primaries not extending beyond rump.... as opp. to WW
Pic 3 I think Com W/throat as opp. to Pic 1 the wings are browner, the legs paler with a white edge to the tail.

Cheers Joe

BTW the pics are very good

Sometimes there just isn't the time Joe.
Middle picture is a Willow Warbler, on primary projection mainly.

Thanks for taking the time to look at these folks.

I should say I made a mistake in my post, I did mean to say I thought the second shot was the Chiff Chaff and not the third, I really should pay more attention to the order I upload the images|:$|, but if you guys think Willow Warbler then I'll settle for that|=)|

Next time I come across these little guys I hope they stay still a bit longer so I can get some decent shots.

thanks again.

No's1 and 3 agree with everyone else.
See where you are coming from with no.2 Joe but I think the primaries are appearing short because of the posture of the bird. The dark legs aren't really a problem as quite a few WW have legs as dark as CC.
For me the super is just too long to be a CC.

I did think about the "stretched" posture Keith, that would pull the wings forward,but the dark legs swung it for me. Nice to know that the legs can be darker. I've seen CC with a bold super and was fooled then into thinking it was WW, until it called.. :t:
Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back