• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 2014 (1 Viewer)

Hi all, I am new to this site and live in central Wisconsin. It is the 26th of January, we have over 3 feet of snow on the ground and temperatures around zero. We watch the birds everyday and put a list together today and oddly as the winter has gotten worse, no new birds have been seen.

Here is our list, does anyone have any others to offer:

Goldfinch
Nuthatch
Chickadee
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated WoodPecker
Junco
Cardinal
Mourning Dove
Blue Jay

I would love to hear what everyone else is seeing!!

Hi,

I just left northern Minnesota, so I know about lots of snow and cold! We had Red-breasted Nuthatches - is that the kind of nuthatch you had? I really was pretty sure I had a Hairy Woodpecker one day (when there were quite a few Downies around and I could compare). My husband was quite sure he saw 2 Robins on a walk! Being near the lake we had Bald Eagles rather regularly. Lots of Crows and Ravens too.

We did not see any cardinals (too far north) or mourning doves. The goldfinches were monstrous! (at least 2 dozen at the bird feeder!) And there was at least one Purple Finch (male).

I guess in central Wisconsin you might have some hawks? I saw some Rough-legged ones when traveling Minn to Chicago (I think, we went all the way to PA and saw a number of Red-Tails eventually).

I have never seen a red breasted nuthatch, ours are the regular variety with the white belly. We did also have a yellow bellied woodpecker here later this afternoon. I do not know why it is called this, has no yellow, but really looks like a Flicker.
We have plenty of hawks, Red Tails, Kestrals and others, I don't really know them very well. Also, this winter we have a few Bald Eagles hanging around our woods and pond.
Interesting you write about cardinals, we do have them from time to time in northern Ontario where we are May-October. We too have had an oddball Robin around from time to time, think he got lost and can't find his way around!

I have never seen a red breasted nuthatch, ours are the regular variety with the white belly. We did also have a yellow bellied woodpecker here later this afternoon. I do not know why it is called this, has no yellow, but really looks like a Flicker.

Then - why wouldn't it be N. Flicker? Not exactly common in Wisconsin in January, I don't imagine, but quite a bit more likely than a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker |8.|. (Check out the range map, here.)

Peter C.

Peter I did some checking and I was wrong, it is a red bellied woodpecker. Yes it looks a lot like a Flicker but no color in its stomach.
Also, had a Kestrel swoop in and take a dove yesterday, that was quite a sight to watch, additionally we have 1 Robin here all winter, looks like it spends most of its time eating very small crabapples left on the tree.

Peter I did some checking and I was wrong, it is a red bellied woodpecker. Yes it looks a lot like a Flicker but no color in its stomach.

Well - that's very different! (as Emily Latella used to say). Red-bellied makes perfect sense - they're a non-migratory bird, and they have been undergoing a tremendous range expansion over the last couple of decades, moving up well to the north of their winter range (used to be exclusively a "south-east" sort of bird). They also are very keen on coming to feeders - or so I am told (i.e. not mine :-C )

Cheers,
Peter C.

P.S. Man, that's one ambitious kestrel!

Our feeders are full of doves, woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadees, goldfinches, cardinals, bluejays, juncos and now turkeys. We also have deer rummaging around for food each day in the deep snow as well. The red bellied spent most of the day pounding on the suet during our latest blizzard.

Despite snow, it sounds like things are warming up bird-wise. Will you have bears in another month? (They were, like the deer, interested in bird feeders where we were.)

Hi all, I am new to this site and live in central Wisconsin. It is the 26th of January, we have over 3 feet of snow on the ground and temperatures around zero. We watch the birds everyday and put a list together today and oddly as the winter has gotten worse, no new birds have been seen.

Here is our list, does anyone have any others to offer:

Goldfinch
Nuthatch
Chickadee
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated WoodPecker
Junco
Cardinal
Mourning Dove
Blue Jay

I would love to hear what everyone else is seeing!!

Hi from the Green Bay area.

(March 14,2014)

We see the birds just like on your list except we only have seen a Pileated Woodpecker twice in 15 years, but one of those times was just a few weeks ago.

A Great Horned owl shows up at dusk every couple years, but none this winter.

One surprise was a few Robins have been showing up all through this winter.

A few Waxwings passed through last week.

Sparrows are trying to build a nest in our Bluebird house.

Checked out the Eagles in Kaukauna last weekend. About six of them where still there and looked active. Lots of snow made it hard to view them.

Lots of snow here on the ground and warm days aren't to common yet.

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back