• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arne info request. (1 Viewer)

Gander

I have been toying with the idea of a birding trip to somewhere in the UK that will offer me a variety of birds that I would not see back home in Fife. As such, I have identified Arne as a leading candidate.

The particular birds that I would like to see are Spoonbill, Dartford Warbler, Nightjar and a flock of Avocet (have seen single bird). Is there a good time of year when I would have a realistic opportunity to see all of these four species at Arne?

Any info on good sites, logistics, other birds to target etc, would also be welcome.

Arne is a great reserve Paul, and I had a great day exploring the area; can't remember now if it was October or February I went there..... early 2000's, but there were hundreds of Avocet in the harbour.

There's a lot of information in The Opus article for the reserve, including a link to the RSPB website.

I'm sure you will enjoy it lad.

Best time for Spoonbill would be from late August through to early February - numbers often peak around late September, a little later in the autumn for the build up of Avocet numbers - with peaks around Dec-Jan, Nightjar from late May to early August and Dartford Warbler all year round, they're often easier to see in late summer when the young have fledged and are roaming about the heaths, often being really easy to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back