• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Needed: Which Harness is Better? (1 Viewer)

oathkeeper

Hi folks.

I need some help in choosing a harness.

Due to my location, I cannot personally try them on. I'm having a friend of mine bring them down for me.

I have attached pictures of two types of harnesses sold at Eagle Optics. I'd like to know from the people who have tried these, which of these is better fitting?

I guess the main difference lies in the way the rear straps hug the body. Which is more comfortable over long periods? The one with crossing back-straps (RIGHT image) or the one with the vertical back-strap (LEFT image)?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Bino Harness.gif
    Bino Harness.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Bino Harness EO.gif
    Bino Harness EO.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Surely people, somebody must have tried either one or both of these harnesses!!

C'mon folks, I need your valuable opinions before I make a purchase.

Thanks.

mpedris said:
Surely people, somebody must have tried either one or both of these harnesses!!

C'mon folks, I need your valuable opinions before I make a purchase.

Thanks.

I use the Eagle Optics harness which crosses in the back. I have not used the other which looks interesting. It may ride lower in back which would be an improvement.

In any event the harness beats a neck strap for me by a lot!!!!!!!!

I use a harness similar to the one in the right-hand photo. Very comfortable and preferable to any neck strap, no matter how comfortable they claim to be.

Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks for your input. Any more opinions are most welcome, especially by someone who has used the type shown on the left photograph.

mpedris said:
Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks for your input. Any more opinions are most welcome, especially by someone who has used the type shown on the left photograph.
My wife tried the left hand one and found it the most comfortable she has tried. It was very difficult to obtain in the UK and in the end we bought something similar from a (I think) Spanish Company. We bought it at the bird fair last year, but I cannot recall the name.

robinm said:
My wife tried the left hand one and found it the most comfortable she has tried. It was very difficult to obtain in the UK and in the end we bought something similar from a (I think) Spanish Company. We bought it at the bird fair last year, but I cannot recall the name.
When you say it's the most comfortable that she has tried, do you mean that she has tried the other type (right-hand photo: crossing back-straps) as well and found the left-hand one more comfortable? Or had she only tried ones similar to the left-hand one?

Thanks.

I currently use one (Optitech) roughly similar to the one on the right. The strap is differently rove, but the pattern is the same. Bit of a hassle to get on and off, but much more comfortable than a neck strap and better by far when you're walking fast. For short stints I just put it over my head like a regular neck strap. Works OK that way, too.

I have used both. The left version is a little more comfortable once it is on, but it is more likely to get tangled or twisted around between wearings.

Even though I have a bad neck, I have found these things to be more trouble than they are worth. They are a pain to take on and off, as well as to use when wearing a coat.

I much prefer the strap that came with the Leica Ultravids.

The strap that came with my Nikon HG's was a miserable piece of trash that really begged for replacement! The harness is especially nice when I'm walking our 3 dogs in the field and don't have a hand free to hang onto the bins. For more sedentary birding, a good padded neck strap would do fine.

The righthand one's easy enough to make, I think. I have the same design, but manufactured from heavy twine rather than strap.

Attachments

• BinoStrap.jpg
    BinoStrap.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 293
mpedris said:
When you say it's the most comfortable that she has tried, do you mean that she has tried the other type (right-hand photo: crossing back-straps) as well and found the left-hand one more comfortable? Or had she only tried ones similar to the left-hand one?

Thanks.
Sorry I was unclear. She found the style with the vertical strap down the back rather than just crossing at the back redistributed the weight in such a way that it was more comfortable that any other style she had tried.

Hope that helps.

I agree that they are more awkward to put on and take off, but for my wife that was worth it in order to prevent her returning from every birding trip with neck ache.

Last edited:
You definitely need to get used to the technique of getting it on and off, but well worth it. I can have mine on or off in a jiffy now. Keith still gets into a bit of a tangle sometimes with his. Oh, his is elasticated - mine is rigid webbing.

Folks,

Thank you ALL for the very helpful opinions. Based on your views, I'm leaning towards the type with the vertical back-strap. Actually, this is for my wife. And from what Robin says about his wife's experiences, I think my wife may prefer the same design.

Thanks again to all of you.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back