• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DigiScoping through Opticron's SDL v2 EP... Comments PLEASE!!! Handheld ESPECIALLY!!! (1 Viewer)

I am currently using the Opticron Digiscoping Lumix DMC-FS45 kit... Struggling!... Mainly needed when viewing distant larids...

LOVE to know, PLEASE, if anyone's getting good results hand-holding a camera to the Opticron SDL v2 lens!!! If so with what??? A so much quicker and easier way to grab a record...

Also would be very interested to hear what other 'set-up's' are working well otherwise on this EP!...

Cheers!

Looking,

I can't help you with standard camera but if you are looking for "so much quicker and easier to grab a record" then I would suggest using your cell phone and one of Opticron cell phone adapters. They make them for a variety of phones and to fit specifically on the SDL V2 eyepiece. I have used my Iphone with that eyepiece several times and have not run into any issues.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Maybe Pete Gamby or Chris Gavin will get wind of this thread.

The FS45 kit should give good results quite easily - if you are struggling though it might be an idea to put a call in to our technical service people to see if they can help point you in the right direction in terms of settings - call 01582 726522 and select option 1.

Cheers, Pete

I started out just trying to hold the phone to the eyepiece and got some "ok" but more often than not they were blurred because I either couldn't hold it steady enough or the alignment was off and I would get vignetting.

I use several different adapters now depending on which scope I use the phone with. I have an Opticron Iphone adapter that I often use with the various Opticron eyepieces. I also use a Phoneskope Universal adapter when I have to switch back and forth between different eyepieces. Lastly, I started out using an inexpensive Carson Hookupz adapter for binoculars. It turns out that it fits one or two of my spotting scope eyepieces as well.

Here is a thread I started on here right when I switched from my Iphone 4 to my Iphone 5S. You can see the progression as I learned how to use the new setup.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=287367

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back