• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Downloading open streetmap data to garmin GPS devices (1 Viewer)

Found a really useful website for downloading openstreetmaps into garmin GPS devices:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

You just select the map range you want, put in your email, and it notifies you when the map is ready to download. A big improvement on the basemap.

The "generic routeable" worked fine for me using the download which goes straight onto the GPS SD card.

Might be useful for someone out there.

It looks like a server is down on the original site quoted above, and if you request a map, it now has a 500 day waiting list!
However, the following site has pretty global coverage of free OSM topo maps with contours, and look pretty good on garmin handhelds

the automatic routing along public footpaths still blows me away for some reason!

I have used Talkytoaster maps on my garmin device. These are not free but have a modest price and are very good. Although Talkytoaster is UK based, his maps (which are based on open-source mapping) are available for most of the world and are updated frequently. The support available from Talkytoaster is also very good. Money well spent.

I suspect talkytoaster will be similar in that the maps are clearer, and more interactive than the os maps that you can pay heavy for. The os maps look really cluttered and crap, especially on a small screen!

Talkytoaster does a trial/free download of the Isle of Wight at 1:25000 so you can see how the mapping looks on screen. A big difference between the Ordnance Survey and the Talkytoaster maps is that the OS map is essentially a photograph of the paper map and as you zoom there comes a point when the mapping becomes pixelated. With the TT mapping, as you zoom in you get more detail. The TT maps look great on my GPS 66s

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back