• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uganda/Rwanda (1 Viewer)

Rgallardy

Hi all,

Well, i'm in the midsts of planning a 8-9 month trip to Africa and definitely am in need of some help and advice! I've pretty much sorted out a general itinerary, but there are some large gaps for some countries when it comes to independent trip reports. I'm going to break these out by country so that it's more searchable in the future. At the moment I'm looking for general advice and of course GPS coordinates if anyone out there has them. I'm also going to be in the need for lot of audio so if anyone has some solid sets and would like to share, I'd be willing to take them. Of course I am audio for about half the world to trade if needed. ;-)

As expected this trip is dubbed "No endemic left behind" with the goal of trying to clean up as much as possible. The plan is the buy a 4x4 Toyota Hillux in South Africa in January and then proceed on an itinerary that heads north along the eastern part of Africa before looping back around and doing Namibia/Angola (with plane trips for Ghana, Gabon, Sao Tome).

Plenty of good trip reports out there for the majority of the country

Uganda

-Has anyone been to Kidepo National Park?
-Thoughts on skipping Mabamba Swamp and getting Shoebill in Murchison Falls? Mabamba seems to be a filler spot and not really necessary (thoughts?)
-Thoughts on tracking down some of the goodies, Gray Ground-Thrush, Shelley's Crimsonwing, White-naped Pigeon, Ring-necked Francolin
-Has anyone gone for Fox's Weaver at Pian Upe Game Reserve yet? (GPS info?)

Rwanda
-What's everyone's thoughts on attempting to get Albertine Owlet in Nyungwe National Park? I think I read something about you not being allowed out at night? Any thoughts on that or ways to get around it?

Thanks

Ross

Ross--only a few answers... male Shelley's Crimsonwing with a small group of Dusky Crimsonwings on a side trail in Ruhija (Bwindi), and 2 White-naped Pigeons in Buhoma (Bwindi) in October 2009. The Shoebill at Mabamba involves a pleasant boat trip and is close to the airport, so convenient... Cheers, Jon

Hi Ross,
have literally just returned from a couple of weeks in Uganda, primarilly for Shoebill and Rwanda.

We will put some kind of report together but it won't be ready for a few weeks, I'll pm you when done.

Highlights, Shoebill, Red-collared Mountain Babbler, Red-chested Owlet, the latter photographed. We used Claver Ntoyinkima in Rwanda who was simply one of, if not the best, guide I've personally had anywhere but if you intend to use him, get in early, he's in demand. He's a contributor to the book 'Wild Rwanda' and can be contacted on FB.

Last edited:
Hi

Travelled to Uganda, last month, and also used Harrier Tours (as previous post) excellent in all respects.

My guide was: [email protected]. Absolute top guide, and lives in Bwindi area. He can be hired direct.

The road running through Nyungwe is open all the time. There is nothing to stop you from listening for the owl from the roadside. Probably far more realistic than trying to walk on a path at night! I'm sure the rangers at the park headquarters would be willing to help, for a fee. I doubt the nearby accommodation is within walking distance of an owl, so you will need a vehicle, which indeed you have.

The road running through Nyungwe is open all the time. There is nothing to stop you from listening for the owl from the roadside. Probably far more realistic than trying to walk on a path at night! I'm sure the rangers at the park headquarters would be willing to help, for a fee. I doubt the nearby accommodation is within walking distance of an owl, so you will need a vehicle, which indeed you have.

When was the last reliable sighting?

We certainly had no realistic expectation of seeing or even hearing it.

We used Johnnie Kamugisha when we went to Uganda. Lovely man and a great guide. my trip report is on here.

Hi Ross,

Sounds great. I would consider the Kirimia River Trail in Semuliki NP if you have the time and it's accessible in terms of safety. We had Grey-ground Thrush (only gone down as a probable on views, but Im sure it was a pair that responded to playback by flying at us after we flushed them off the trail), Lyre-tailed and Zenker's Honeyguide both displaying and a lot of other good Congo Basin Forests stuff when there in Feb. 2006.

Cheers,

Hi Ross,

Sounds great. I would consider the Kirimia River Trail in Semuliki NP if you have the time and it's accessible in terms of safety. We had Grey-ground Thrush (only gone down as a probable on views, but Im sure it was a pair that responded to playback by flying at us after we flushed them off the trail), Lyre-tailed and Zenker's Honeyguide both displaying and a lot of other good Congo Basin Forests stuff when there in Feb. 2006.

Cheers,

Gareth. Appreciate the tip. I definitely want to spend some time on the Kirimia River Trail if possible. Didn't realize Lyre-tailed was a possibility there, good to know!

When I did Manama a couple of years ago I also got Lesser Jacana and Striped Crake. The former seems quite reliable, the latter was a most unexpected bonus...

When I did Manama a couple of years ago I also got Lesser Jacana and Striped Crake. The former seems quite reliable, the latter was a most unexpected bonus...

Lesser Jacana is also easy at Bugasera in Uganda, we also had a couple of views at Mabamba but the boat usually flushes them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back