• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Four-Thirds (4 Viewers)

Here is a photo taken with the E-M1+MB(firmware version 2.0)+Ext 1.4 III.

Since it is resized, it is not as good as the original photo.

Anders

Attachments

• resized cut doc  PC280984.jpg
    resized cut doc PC280984.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 245
Thanks Jules,

If you go Ext 2x I think you will loose 2 f-stops....will that be 400mm f/6.3 equals 800mm f/6.3 fullframe ?

The camera shows following f-stops in S-mode with Ext 1.4 III :
etc

Anders

Thanks Jules,

If you go Ext 2x I think you will loose 2 f-stops....will that be 400mm f/6.3 equals 800mm f/6.3 fullframe ?

The camera shows following f-stops in S-mode with Ext 1.4 III :
etc

Anders

Woops... Sorry, I misread. I thought it was a 70-200 f/2.8. I have never worked with that lens and I unfortunately don't know how it performs.

New lenses

Well, the Oly 300mm and the Pana 100-400mm have been released.

The 300mm seems incredible... see this report with wildlife photos:
http://www.ianflemingphotography.com/#!olympus-300-mm-f4/c1xcj

The price is also incredible... 4000$CDN including taxes ! :C Way too much for me. Too bad - I would have liked it but I definitely won't purchase one unless I win at lottery...

Unfortunately, there is not much info about the 100-400mm - I haven't seen any serious reviews or images like above. 2650$CDN seems somewhat decent, given that I would sell the 100-300mm and maybe the 400mm Canon with Metabones adapter.

The Canon/MB does a decent job but it is fixed at 400, 560 and 800 - no zoom. Selling it and getting the 100-400mm would limit me to 400mm. I still have the 100-300mm but it seems the 100-400mm is sharper and it has more reach.

What do you guys think ? Do you plan to empty your wallet on one of those ?

Well, the Oly 300mm and the Pana 100-400mm have been released.

The 300mm seems incredible... see this report with wildlife photos:
http://www.ianflemingphotography.com/#!olympus-300-mm-f4/c1xcj

The price is also incredible... 4000$CDN including taxes ! :C Way too much for me. Too bad - I would have liked it but I definitely won't purchase one unless I win at lottery...

Unfortunately, there is not much info about the 100-400mm - I haven't seen any serious reviews or images like above. 2650$CDN seems somewhat decent, given that I would sell the 100-300mm and maybe the 400mm Canon with Metabones adapter.

The Canon/MB does a decent job but it is fixed at 400, 560 and 800 - no zoom. Selling it and getting the 100-400mm would limit me to 400mm. I still have the 100-300mm but it seems the 100-400mm is sharper and it has more reach.

What do you guys think ? Do you plan to empty your wallet on one of those ?

Quite a bit of chat on these 2 lenses in their own threads here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=308044 and: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=276533

What do you guys think ? Do you plan to empty your wallet on one of those ?[QUOTE ]
Not until the AF performance is confirmed. EM1 MK2?

I expect to go the 100-400 way. I am likely to wait until I have some more reviews to look at, and I am hoping that the 1.4x TC might be useful with it. I am not sure which camera body to pair it with, the G7 has been called the m4/3 with the best continuous AF so far.

Niels

I expect to go the 100-400 way. I am likely to wait until I have some more reviews to look at, and I am hoping that the 1.4x TC might be useful with it. I am not sure which camera body to pair it with, the G7 has been called the m4/3 with the best continuous AF so far.

Niels

I would be surprised it will be possible to use the Oly TC with the 100-400mm. I watched the available photos with interest to see if there is room for it but couldn't find any photo showing the camera end of the lens.

Regarding camera choice, if I were you, I would wait. It is not clear now how the 2 new long lenses interact with cameras of another brand regarding IS. We may be in for surprises when user reports start to come in in April.

I emptied my wallet for a TS 80/480 super apo triplet instead (like Tord have). Who needs AF anyway ;-)
Congrats. A great tool that delivers HQ results. Did you get the one with splittable tube and retractable lens Hood?

Congrats. A great tool that delivers HQ results. Did you get the one with splittable tube and retractable lens Hood?

Thanks! It has retractable hood, but not splittable tube. I believe it's the same you have the TLAPO804.

Tested handheld on a wagtail that decided not to migrate, 480mm at 1/40s iso 3200. Shows promise! Will be harder on a flying thingy, but is doable even for me :)

Attachments

• P1140273.jpg
    P1140273.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 203
Mine has a splittable tube. It seems this feature has been discontinued, though. Another useful feature is the short close range, 4-5 meters with a 80 mm extension tube.

When I purchased my TLAPO804 from teleskop express I got one with splittable tube. The idea is to ease adding focal reducer and field flattener, I have not tried yet. The splittable tube is also useful when cleaning the scope.

Regarding the L /R conversion I have tried to swap the dials but failed in removing the dual knob, so I gave up.

Regarding the L /R conversion I have tried to swap the dials but failed in removing the dual knob, so I gave up.

ok. good to know. I won't be trying to take it apart - done that with a previous scope's crayford and f***ed that up, förlåt min franska. Still have the lens cell of a TS scopos 80/560mm triplet apo (so it says) don't remember the f-number though. That one was a splittable tube also. At the time did not know about flatteners and reducers, so did not know what to do with the splittable design :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back