• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID please Somerset UK today (1 Viewer)

earleybird

Crewkerne Somerset UK 15.00hrs 02/03/18 garden

Hi could someone kindly ID this bird for me. it turned up in the garden this afternoon and has eaten on the ground for a solid half hour . Must have been proper Hank Marvin :-O

Walks and scurries along the ground like a Corvid and has a definite wagtail bob with its tail when it stops . its a lot smaller than a thrush possibly 5.5 -6" long overall and about the body size of a Bunting I would say.

Attachments

• mystery bird 1 crop mini.jpg
    mystery bird 1 crop mini.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 68
  • mystery bird 2 crop mini.jpg
    mystery bird 2 crop mini.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 52
  • mystery bird 3 crop mini.jpg
    mystery bird 3 crop mini.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 30
Yes a Meadow Pipit. The harsh weather is forcing birds that you wouldn't normally see in gardens to our gardens in search of food.

thank you thank you :t:
Wow what a special visitor to our garden. The images in my books were far from conclusive so I wasn't at all sure on ID

We've had a steady stream of Fieldfare and Redwings in the garden today as well.its great to have these uncommon visitors to photograph but we are very concerned about some of the smaller Tits and Finches surviving this Winter.

Cheers Buddy

Hi earleybird and welcome back. Haven't seen you posting for a while. There were a handful of Meadow Pipits in the field behind the house today but I wasn't lucky enough to have them in the garden.

Rich

Hi Rich .thank you for your welcome .

I still love taking pictures of birds but other stuff gets in the way sometimes.
Seven and a half years of being a house bound carer has taken its toll on my health and sanity but I still love watching and looking after our garden birds and other wildlife .

I will save this site in my tabs and make a point of looking in regularly to see what you lot are up to .
best wishes
Johnny

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back