• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African raptor help needed please (1 Viewer)

talbotbrooks

Greetings!

I spied this raptor perched in a tree along the banks of the Letaba River 1km north of the Letaba Rest Camp in Kruger National Park on 11 March 2020 at approximately 18:30. The extension of the yellow on its bill back to the eyes, short tail feathers, and lack of feathers further down its legs is throwing me - otherwise I'd think it was a lesser spotted eagle - it's about the same size.

Attachments

• Unknown raptor.jpg
    Unknown raptor.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 140
Much young that sub-adult IMO, I'd call it juvenile, may be 2cy. It takes 7 years to be adult.

It has the pale wing panel and yellow bill

Such a bird is depicted as sub-adult in the SASOL

Strange, as sexual diamorphism starts in the 4th year

Last edited:
Thanks Valéry. So sub-adult is the final year before adulthood?

This is how I understand it : "almost adult", adult type with a few remaining feathers or bare part colour as immature. I guess we might probably find different definitions in different references though.

This is how I understand it : "almost adult", adult type with a few remaining feathers or bare part colour as immature. I guess we might probably find different definitions in different references though.

Yes probably. They all have their own definitions. It shows their importance ;)

Thanks again Valéry

And there are those who feel that juvenile should be reserved for the very first set of feathers a bird has and that with the next set the bird is already in adult plumage or is an immature.

Niels

And there are those who feel that juvenile should be reserved for the very first set of feathers a bird has and that with the next set the bird is already in adult plumage or is an immature.

Niels

Yes, juvenile is usually very clear, it is the very first plumage, before the first moult. In raptors, it can be confusing because the moult can last months or even years. Is it juvenile until the first feather felt down or until the first plumage is totally moulted ? That's the usual point of disagreement about juveniles.

I usually consider juveniles to the start of the moult only, then call moulting ones as being "in post-juvenile moult"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back