• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (2 Viewers)

Yesterday I saw (for the first time in my life) a whitethroat among the leaves of a carob tree :) A nice surprise for these lockdown days.

The warbler family in Spain Spanish is not as straight forward as in English (the same can be said about the tit family), many Spanish names are included in the single term "warbler". The willow warbler belongs to the "mosquito eating" family (mosquitero) while the Sardinian warbler is a "curruca", just as the whitethroat or the Dartford Warbler, they're all "curruca". The whitethroat is called "curruca zarcera", the curruca that dwells among the brambles, and then there's the spectacled warbler, which is also curruca, but "curruca tomillera" in this case, literally, the curruca that dwells among the thyme. It is such a fascinating exercise to check the name of species in many languages (besides its Latin name), because it gives so many unexpected clues :)

Attachments

• Whitethroat.jpg
    Whitethroat.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 53
Was hiking around yesterday and saw a flicker in the trees in the distance. I put my binoculars up and saw two beautiful blue-jays sitting next to each other on a branch.

Also saw two pileated woodpeckers the same day.

Its a fun time for birding in the northeast as the leaves haven't grown in yet, but the birds are here so its easier to see them.

Hello,

Watched a soaring Hawk from my porch.
I estimated that the Hawk was at an altitude of about 1000 feet about 3 kilometers away.

Due to Covid-19 lockdown I cannot leave my house.

I was using my 8 x 40 Nikon Action EX binocular more or less into the sun with no issues.

Cheers.

A crow chasing a hawk. I always find it interesting to find how hawks who go after little birds, will allow a crow to bug them. Perhaps it is their personality to not 'attack' other birds unless they are after a small bird for food, while a crow is just a bit obnoxious to begin with so 'attacking' a hawk is their personality.

Over the quarantine period a pair of greenfinches decided the almond tree opposite the living room was a nice and safe place to build a nest, so we were watching them carry little branches and feathers until one day the build was complete. Then we could see them brooding for nearly a week, and just yesterday we could finally enjoy the newly hatched chicks. I think I've seen three, always demanding food cheerfully
I've attached a picture of one of the little fellows. Welcome, Spring, welcome greenfinches!

Attachments

• Verderon nido pollos.jpg
    Verderon nido pollos.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 46
Over the quarantine period a pair of greenfinches decided the almond tree opposite the living room was a nice and safe place to build a nest, so we were watching them carry little branches and feathers until one day the build was complete. Then we could see them brooding for nearly a week, and just yesterday we could finally enjoy the newly hatched chicks. I think I've seen three, always demanding food cheerfully
I've attached a picture of one of the little fellows. Welcome, Spring, welcome greenfinches!

It is definitely spring when you see a sight like that. Thanks for sharing.

-Bill

I got out this morning, before my working from home duties became too pressing, and drove to a nearby, recently designated open space hilltop preserve, covered in mustard flowers. Among Scrub Jays, Red-winged Blackbirds, Cliff Swallows, and gangs of Lesser Goldfinches, the Lazuli Buntings were singing away, some perched briefly on plants swaying in the breeze. Most were hunkered down lower, though no less vocal. I always welcome this colorful visitor in the Spring.

-Bill

Attachments

• l.bunting.1.jpg
    l.bunting.1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 46
I got out this morning, before my working from home duties became too pressing, and drove to a nearby, recently designated open space hilltop preserve, covered in mustard flowers. Among Scrub Jays, Red-winged Blackbirds, Cliff Swallows, and gangs of Lesser Goldfinches, the Lazuli Buntings were singing away, some perched briefly on plants swaying in the breeze. Most were hunkered down lower, though no less vocal. I always welcome this colorful visitor in the Spring.

-Bill

Stunning bird Bill. :t:

Rich

While out walking my dog's on my usual country walk about 13.00pm I heard the noise of an owl, looked up into the tree's and saw a large barn owl perched on the high tree top, first time I had seen a wild one, and the day before on the same walk I saw a deer, the wild life seems to be all about with this lockdown.

Different kind of birds, saw 6 Blue Angels flying over Houston through my Noctivid. We thank the US Navy for the show!

Attachments

• DB4C6D12-D9EA-48A2-891A-8A0E7A6C5A0B.jpeg
    DB4C6D12-D9EA-48A2-891A-8A0E7A6C5A0B.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
A giant Rat sat in my squirrel proof feeder!

Steve: I am thinking you did not even need a binocular to see that varmint.

So, what do you do to keep him out ? A BB gun seems in order. :smoke:

Today I saw a hovering bald eagle, many Canada geese, ducks and other
water birds like storks I don't even have identified. My books don't have them all listed.
And a Pelican, all on my own land.

And I will confess, I did not carry or need a binocular, as I was on the move.

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back