• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 ids requested Paderborn Germany (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi, I would like confirmation on the following;
1+2 Dunnock?
3+4 Fieldfare
5 Brambling?
all taken near dusk this evening where the sun was not always in a favourable position.

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

• DSC_4593.jpg
    DSC_4593.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_4594.JPG
    DSC_4594.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_4620.JPG
    DSC_4620.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_4621.JPG
    DSC_4621.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_4623.JPG
    DSC_4623.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 201
Thanks Lou
Its probably the light that made me think fieldfare and 5 had to be chaf or brambling but again the light made it difficult to decide, I'm going to have to learn how to adjust the lighting when I put the pictures into the pc.

Andy

I'd go along with over-exposed female Blackbird with that finely streaked throat, but where do the eye-ring and very black lores fit? The other two are Dunnock and Brambling/Chaffinch.

Chris

funny how every bird that looks a little different to a field guide illustration must be a major rarity! It's a blackbird - look at the lack of clear streaking on the malar area and on the upper breast.

funny how every bird that looks a little different to a field guide illustration must be a major rarity! It's a blackbird - look at the lack of clear streaking on the malar area and on the upper breast.

Not to mention the belly the same shade as the upperparts, and darker than the throat! It is a Blackbird

Jan

Ok, I agree that it doesn't look perfect for Black-throated but that comment was uncalled for. You still have to admit that it doesn't look like a "normal" overexposed Blackbird? To me it has clear features of Black-throated but I fully agree with the features that point away and points towards Blacbird instead.

I don't see where this is coming from. I am not trying to do every bird a rarity.

As said before, breast is overexposed. See this Finnish bird which has relatively pale malar area and only faint breast-streaking:
http://tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=linto1235242714&lang=fin

Subject bird seems to have clear wingpanel which would be weird for a Blackbird. Also, if it is a Blackbird, it should be probably young female and in that case bill color is wrong IMO.

what I said wasn't aimed at anybody in particular - it was a comment on how much 'commoner' major rarities seem to be on the id forum. The likelihood that the OP stumbled across a black-throated thrush is so remote that the main concern would be to categorically rule out blackbird, which we can't.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back