• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (3 Viewers)

Thanks for that Derek.

Hello Peter,
i only had around 500 GWF's on Saturday as well as about 100 Greylags and 6-700 Brents. The Snow was difficult enough to pick up as it was in the corner of a ploughed field. Birds do move around between Falcarragh - Inch - Big Isle and it will be interesting to see if it ends up on Wexford Slobs.
The Meally Redpoll was in an area about 500 yards down the second lane on the right after the picnic spot but i am sure the Redpolls also use the trees at the picnic site.
Let us know next time you are going up and i will give directions to B Nook.

d

Inch Lake Boxing Day

Wet out for a walk rather than a birding trip which was as well because the lake was nearly all frozen over. Only a few Mallard and Wigeon on small patches of water. We walked from the car park to Farland Bank. Very little wildfowl because of the lack of open water. Even a small patch of ice was on the sea!

Inch Lake 10th January

Went for a walk at Inch Lake this afternoon. Large numbers of Whooper and Greylag (200+ Whooper, 400+ Greylag)on the fields beside the road. Also large numbers of Redwing and Fieldfare feeding on the fields.

Inch Lake heavily frozen over. Only several clear patches. All those remaining birds are congregated on an unfrozen patch of water below the car park. I expect large numbers of wildfowl have flown to the foyle where ther is plenty of open water. The upper part of the lake is a white wilderness with snoe covering the icefields. Hope this week sees the start of a thaw.

Inch Lake 17th January

At last the ice has melted and plenty of wildfowl have returned.
Todays highlights were a Little Egret, the male Smew. plenty of Greylag and Whoopers. Goldeneye, Scaup, Wigeon, Teal, tufted also in good numbers.

Watched two Herons fighting over territory, see attached pics.

Richard

Attachments

• Greylag1.jpg
    Greylag1.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Swans-1.jpg
    Swans-1.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Herons-1.jpg
    Herons-1.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Herons-2.jpg
    Herons-2.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 84
A quick round up of a nice selection of birds in the county in the last week or so. Donegal gets my vote as the best county in Ireland for wildfowl.

Male dresseri Common Eider and female Velvet Scoter at Glasagh Bay, Fanad. Dresseri subspecies of Eider the first European record.
Male Ring-necked Duck, male Smew and male Green-winged Teal, Inch Island Lake.
Blue phase Snow Goose, Big Isle.
Female Ring-necked Duck, New Lake, Dunfanaghy.
4 Goosanders, Pettigo.
A fantastic run of wildfowl records. Gulls are fairing rather poorly though like the rest of the country.

I think I may have to do a trip to Donegal myself shortly, the list above is just too tempting.
We had a returning male Lesser Scaup and a female Red-crested Pochard here in Galway last November, not a thing this year so far duck-wise.

Dermot

Inch Lake 6th February

Large numbers of Greylag on the lake. (200+)
Mute Swan (50+)
Whooper Swan (60+) On fields near main road
Scaup
Goldeneye
Teal
Mallard

I did not get a good look at the duck as most birds were far out and I had no scope this time.

Richard

Golden Eagle

After many months looking for Golden Eagles while driving to and from Gweedore, this afternoon I was treated to a superb view of a Golden Eagle soaring beside the main road between Aghla Beg and Muckish gap. The eagle stayed bside the road for about 5 minutes before heading off over Muckish Gap.

Was up at Sheskinmore for a few days last week. Bird sightings and counts are attached in a microsoft excel file. Behavioural notes are really for personal interest but just kept them in the file anyway.

Attachments

• SheskinmoreApr2010.xls
    26.5 KB · Views: 123
First posted on County Galway site today. Can anybody confirm a cygnet?:

I got a great tick at Inch Levels, Donegal yesterday. A pair of black swans and, much more importantly, with them what looked like a cygnet. I haven’t seen a cygnet reported anywhere for Inch Levels and I know now that breeding pairs are very rare (I think max reported for UK is 11 pairs in 2004).
It was a medium range sighting from the bridge leading to the Tooban hide looking right (North or Northeast) up the canal / river that runs by the hide. There was a lot of overhanging vegetation, which made it difficult to get a good sighting of the ‘cygnet’. I was very pushed for time. If I had known then how rare breeding pairs are, I would have made time to check it out more thoroughly. There was definitely a small bird with the two swans.

In Sligo this morning I had Wheatears at Lisadell, Whimbrels at Trabawn and a pair of Eiders at Raghly, the male in magnificent breeding plumage. Big numbers of Great Northerns also about.

The small bird I saw with the Black Swans was not a cygnet. It was black. Having done some research, Black Swan cygnets are light grey brown - almost whitish looking. Sorry for the false alarm. It's probably a bit early yet for cygnets.

Brent Geese at Magheragallon

I was surprised to see that the Brent Geese have not left Magheragallon yet. Saw a skein of over 40 birds yesterday afternoon.

Any reports of Cuckoo yet?

Trip to Tory Island 22nd

Left Magheragallon Pier at 8.45 for Tory.
The crossing yeilded the following species
Chough
Red throated Diver
Great Northern Diver
Manx Shearwater (100+)
Guillemot
Razorbill
Puffin
Black Guillemot
Gannet
Otter

On Tory we spotted 2 Corncrake but heard at least 3 calling.
Lapwing
Redshank
Ringed Plover
Peregrine Falcon
Wheatear
Snipe
Sedge Warbler

On the return ferry trip we were treated to excellent views of a Great Skua and a Basking Shark.

After a cool start with a bit of sea fog the day finished up very hot.

Richard

Attachments

• Basking-Shark.jpg
    Basking-Shark.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Bonxie.jpg
    Bonxie.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Black-Guillemot.jpg
    Black-Guillemot.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Swallow.jpg
    Swallow.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Chough

I forgot to post last week.

Flock of approx 30 Chough at Carrickfinn, Gweedore Saturday 17th.
Also a Kestrel.

Small numbers of Sandwich Terns at Magheragallon

Blanket Nook 26th

Did an evening trip to Blanket Nook last night.

Large numbers of Mallard
12+ Herons
Greenshank
Large numbers of Swifts and House Martins
50+ Curlew
30+ Tufted Duck

Moved on to Inch Lake, but light was against us. Large numbers of Heron there too (15+)

Richard

Nice weekend on Tory Island. Lots of migrants around Willow Warblers, Chiffchaff, 3 Spotted Flycatchers in the one garden. Highlights were one Corncrake walking out in front of me, 11 lapland buntings at times walking round your feet and one female Snowy Owl!

Derek

Hi Derek et al, I am going to over night it on Tory Island some time over the next few weeks. I found the Ferry Timetable online. Could anyone recommend accommodation on the Island, and somewhere for an evening meal?. I will wait for an easterly wind and preferably some decent birds on the western Isles before I make a dash for it.

Heres hoping :t:

Peter Phillips

Fanad Head

A new birding venue for me, we were at Fanad Head for 10am this morning. Highlights were 4 Bonxies, manx shearwaters, fulmars, black guillemot, gannets.

Force 6 westerly blowing, but not long enough to bring in enough sea birds.

Will definately return.

Richard

Was up at Sheskinmore there for a few days. 2 pink-footed geese, 1 merlin, 9 choughs were among the highlights. Having trouble posting microsoft word report here but will try again cos the behavioural notes are (I think) quite interesting this time, drop-catching behaviour from buzzard.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back