• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-winged Scoter! (1 Viewer)

prairiemerlin

registered guy
Today my dad and I went to the American Center Marsh, which is about 15 minutes from our house. It's a tiny marsh, only a few acres, and it's man-made. To my great surprise we found a White-winged Scoter mingling with the Mallards! We could clearly see the white wing patch. It was resting for awhile, but then it became active, diving and popping back up to the surface. I've seen White-winged Scoters only twice before, and both times they were tiny black dots flying away. This bird was at extermely close range in excellent light. Other birds seen included Song Sparrows, American Tree Sparrows, Canada Geese and Mallards.

Here is a photo of the White-winged Scoter:

scoter6.jpg

Hi Neil
Nice find.
There was a male WWS a short while ago 'over here' just off the East coast of England........ unfortunately i didnt see it.
It was mingling with our Velvet Scoters.
Regards SE.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back