• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone digiscoping with Lumix lx100? (1 Viewer)

Ian Shepherd

I'm about to replace my aged lx3 as my compact digiscoping camera. Considering SonyRX100/3, but I also like the look of the Lumix lx100's 4/3 sensor iq, for general/macro photography. Anyone out there attempted digiscoping with the lumix?

Ian,
Unfortunately the lens on the LX100 is not that suitable for digiscoping. I tested it out at the recent Space Coast Birding Festival in Florida at the Panasonic booth. The lens retracts as you zoom so the vignetting gets worse,not less. It might be ok on a long Eye Relief eyepiece , e.g. Kowa 25x LER but even Kowa didn't have one for testing.
Neil.

Many thanks for the info Neil. Just in time to cancel a trip to look at one, since the only camera shop left in my town couldn't help. LX100 off the digiscoping list it seems. A pity as I do like the idea of utilising the quality of an M4/3 sensor through the ATX95. In fact I bought that scope with the intention of using the TLS APO and my Pana GH3, but so far I just haven't been able to get on with that combo in the field - I've found it much easier to focus and to control vibration using the little Pana LX3 and my own adaptor ring (a slice of vacuum cleaner tubing) on the ATX95: though obviously lower quality IQ with the LX3 than the GH3 is capable of. I guess I'll have to persevere with the TLS Apo for the time being.
Three pics taken with the Pana LX3/Swaro ATX95 -

Attachments

• BW034sml.atxlx3.Aug14.jpg
    BW034sml.atxlx3.Aug14.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 237
  • D035sml.ATX30xLX3.Aug14.jpg
    D035sml.ATX30xLX3.Aug14.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 335
  • LB012juv.sml.ATX9570x.LX3.jpg
    LB012juv.sml.ATX9570x.LX3.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 221
Many thanks for the info Neil. Just in time to cancel a trip to look at one, since the only camera shop left in my town couldn't help. LX100 off the digiscoping list it seems. A pity as I do like the idea of utilising the quality of an M4/3 sensor through the ATX95. In fact I bought that scope with the intention of using the TLS APO and my Pana GH3, but so far I just haven't been able to get on with that combo in the field - I've found it much easier to focus and to control vibration using the little Pana LX3 and my own adaptor ring (a slice of vacuum cleaner tubing) on the ATX95: though obviously lower quality IQ with the LX3 than the GH3 is capable of. I guess I'll have to persevere with the TLS Apo for the time being.
Three pics taken with the Pana LX3/Swaro ATX95 -

Ian,
The GH3 should make you happy with your digiscoping. It's a very nice camera. Unless of course you upgrade to the GH4. Most people are using the Panasonic 20/1.7 lens and Manual Focusing on the GH3/GH4. The Focus Peaking function makes it easier to focus manually. The GX7 has a lot of features from the GH3 and GH4 so maybe worth looking at.
I can't use Manual Focusing quickly without Focus Peaking as I have bifocals.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back