• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rocklands Bird Sanctuary (1 Viewer)

affe22

I am going to be in Montego Bay, Jamaica January 1st - 5th and want to visit Rocklands Bird Sanctuary. Does anyone have any information on the best way to do this? I have contacted a tour agency and they would charge $60 per person and I'm trying to find a cheaper way to go. Also, how much is the entrance fee?

Thanks Larry. I think I may just end up paying the $60 a person so I don't have to worry about getting our own transportation out there and all. I looked at Budget Rent-a-car's website and they suggested not driving without a knowledgable guide for the area as it can be dangerous.

Affe2

I've been to Rocklands. Took a taxi from the dock. Was cheaper than $60, but still, you're on your own that way. With the group tour you should be able to see more species than just sitting with the streamertails coming to the hummer food in your hand (a very neat experience in itself!)

Another great experience (Tody, Jamaican Owl, for example) is a touristy, poled-by-guide raft trip (very calm water) on the river. The raft goes so slowly and the guide is accomodating so you can get great looks at birds as you sit and concentrate only on the birds!

And, I'm curious, in view of your adamantly expressed disapproval of traveling great distances to see a bird, especially using an SUV to do so, how are you getting to Jamaica? One plane, one cruise ship trip there takes more fuel than a thousand birders going on 250 SUV trips for a 1,000 or so miles.

Good birding!
Phalarope

affe22
I wrote the article on Rocklands that is in BF's location directory and I also have a page on my website about our day visit from our cruise ship. There are photos and more details on getting to Rocklands. We were quoted $60 for both of us from the cruise terminal, but negotiated a lesser amount by having the driver come back for us instead of staying and waiting for us. That meant he could get other fares during the day.

Here's my webpage: http://helensbirds.homestead.com/cruise04jamaica.html

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back