• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

much help needed (1 Viewer)

tom baxter

with cannon eos 7d, and 400mm f/5.6 lens

I switched my lens to the close setting for auto focus, (3.5 mm instead of 8.5) and I opened up the f-stop to attempt to bring more of the photo into focus, but I am really struggling with getting sharp images (always, but especially when there are multiple subjects like here).

settings were:
manual shooting mode
shutter- 1/640
aperature- 13
ISO speed 400.
This photo is cropped but otherwise unedited

Help please!

Attachments

• poor photo of azures, for birdforum.jpg
    poor photo of azures, for birdforum.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 107
What AF area mode did you use, single point? - where is the focus point? (you can check this in DPP) It looks to me as if the focus point was in front of the 'flutterbys'.

I was using single point expansion (probably a pretty poor choice in this situation) I never change out of that mode since I most often photograph birds and they tend to move around a lot. That is a pretty no brainer way I could improve in the case of this photo that I overlooked out of inexperience!

The AF point is actually located on the ground. If you were to picture the butterflies as if they were arranged to represent a # 7 (rotated counter clockwise), the focal point is on the inside of the arm of the #7. Hopefully that makes sense!

The AF point is actually located on the ground. If you were to picture the butterflies as if they were arranged to represent a # 7 (rotated counter clockwise), the focal point is on the inside of the arm of the #7. Hopefully that makes sense!
I think I am following you but the focus point should be right on one of the butterflies - at least that one will be sharp and in focus but I doubt any of the others will be as the depth of field is going to be pretty shallow even at f13.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back