• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2005 Ruby-throated Migration Map (1 Viewer)

We had visitors all winter here in central TX. I saw my first hummingbirds for 2005 on January 1 - two Rufous. Later that same day I saw one female each of Ruby-throated and Black-chinned.

Y'all might want to check the Ruby-throated map at www.birdsource.org. According to that map they are being seen well into North America.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

I am in southwestern New Brunswick, and I seen my first ruby throat on May 3rd last year. I keep watching the map and when they start getting close, up goes the feeders!! |=)|

I check every day too. I'm in northern georgia, so we should get our first ones sometime in the middle of March. I'll be out of town from March 4-13, so I hope not to miss the first one to my feeder!

WOOHOOO!! come on rubys!! LOL

Hmmm I noticed one place that has 2/19... wonder why they didnt post it sooner....

Starzz said:

Hmmm I noticed one place that has 2/19... wonder why they didnt post it sooner....[/QUOTE

Hi,

I was wondering the same thing :) Cheers,bob

Starz, Bobyk and others
We have to remember guys that this system is run by A (that's right, in the case of the hummingbird map it is a single person) volunteer and he can not always just jump up and update. Also, he relies on others for data - perhaps someone sent a message this week saying "I had a Ruby-throated Hummingbird in Louisiana on the 19th." What does he do? Throw out the data or put it up two weeks later?
Personally, I think Lanny does a great job maintaining that whole site.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

humminbird said:
Starz, Bobyk and others
We have to remember guys that this system is run by A (that's right, in the case of the hummingbird map it is a single person) volunteer and he can not always just jump up and update. Also, he relies on others for data - perhaps someone sent a message this week saying "I had a Ruby-throated Hummingbird in Louisiana on the 19th." What does he do? Throw out the data or put it up two weeks later?
Personally, I think Lanny does a great job maintaining that whole site.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

You're definitely right, Mark..... Lanny does a fabulous service to hummingbird lovers with his work! The man certainly knows what he's talking about.

cavan wood said:
This is just too cool. Does anyone do this with other big migrators?

Last year in the beginning of March I put out the hummingbird feeder just to see what would happen. Next thing I know, we have 3 males! Later in the season, we get about 25 on average and have 2 large feeders.

This year it still feels like January in March; it'd freeze if I put it out. Guess I gotta take out the video I took last year and reminisce for a little while longer. ::sigh::

Lydia

Starzz said:

Hmmm I noticed one place that has 2/19... wonder why they didnt post it sooner....
If nothing else, it will be a good resource for those looking at this year's map next spring to give them an idea of when to expect the jeweled beauties.

Thefirst of the spring arrived recently here in Tallahassee. The following quote was taken from the North Florida birds list.

"This morning at 7:30 I saw an adult male Ruby Throated hummingbird at my
feeder, 3 days earlier than the past 3 years when one showed up on March 6th.
In the past several years I have never seen more than one male at the feeders
until later in the summer, and I have always had one that stayed around until
the fall. Last year I did not see a female until the middle of May, and she
only came sporadically. Clean those feeders, they are on their way!"

Limeybirder said:
Thefirst of the spring arrived recently here in Tallahassee. The following quote was taken from the North Florida birds list.

"This morning at 7:30 I saw an adult male Ruby Throated hummingbird at my
feeder, 3 days earlier than the past 3 years when one showed up on March 6th.
In the past several years I have never seen more than one male at the feeders
until later in the summer, and I have always had one that stayed around until
the fall. Last year I did not see a female until the middle of May, and she
only came sporadically. Clean those feeders, they are on their way!"

Hey Limeybirder:
According to Audubon and Cornel (birdsource.org) Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were all over the penninsula and apparently in the panhandle of Florida on President's Day weekend!

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back