• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good walk spoiled. (1 Viewer)

Wendy Morris

Took advantage of the calm, grey weather to take a short walk this afternoon. On my way along the road I met a friend who commented on my dogless state (I`m not often seen walking without our two dogs) and after I explained that dogs and bird watching do not go together, he gave me a hint of where I might find a lot of birds, if not anything special. Following his advice, I set off down the usual lane and just as I got within spitting distance of the track he had mentioned, when my ears were assualted by not one, but two chain saws starting up! :-C No way was I going to hear any birds and I doubted that I`d see any as they would probably have dispersed at the sound.

I realise that trees damaged in the recent gales have to be made safe, but it was just my luck they decided to do those when I wanted the peace of the calm day. Rather like next door`s cat putting pay to my BGBW at the weekend. Sod`s law I think it`s known as! I did see and hear a few birds much further across the fields, but the quiet day meant that the noise drifted in every direction.

The best of the few were a small flock of coal tits and a large flock of mixed winter thrushes.

Here`s to next time!

Hi Wendy,
Sort of bad luck depending on your need for logs! LOL!

Every time I see workmen chopping down trees, (& there's a lot since the storms) I seize the moment & give them my address in the hope they deliver some for my wildlife garden.
Wide logs are also useful for feeding stations.
Iv'e been greeted by 2 log piles on my Drive this week. Yay!

Every Cloud Wendy. ;)

Hi Wendy Sounds like one of those days we all get and just try to forget, sorry it didnt work out better for you.
Good Luck Peter

Hi Wendy....funnily a similar thing happened to me yesterday......2 pneumatic drills down "my" lanes!!!!! :-C
May we both have better luck today eh?
Best wishes,

Hi all,

Thanks for your sympathy! I did get a good walk in the physical sense, so it wasn`t all gloom and doom and on my way back met a friend out walking her dogs, so I managed `catch up` with her, saving on the phone bill!

Back with my next walk as and when.

Rotten luck Wendy, but as you say, a job they have to do I suppose. It's going on in our village too after the gales did quite a lot of damage to the trees. Give them a few days to clear them, then.....hopefully! Best of luck,

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back