• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Seen today on a farm between Rosman and Brevard in western North Carolina. Part of an eruption of this species in eastern US. Saved me a very expensive trip to Barrow, Alaska!

Steve

Attachments

• Snowy Owl.jpg
    Snowy Owl.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 248
Wow nice photo. I'm hoping they might move down to Texas when I am there at Christmas. The last time they had an irruption there was one in Dallas, but I didn't know until I got back to AZ.

Hi, Lisa -

At this time, it seems the southernmost birds are in the east. The bird above is the first ever recorded in the western North Carolina mountains and the most southerly Snowy reported on eBird.
I think it is a female, based on patterning and the width of the tail bars. I'd appreciate any comments with someone more familiar with the species.

Thanks for the compliment on the picture. I took it with a Canon SX50 at full zoom.
Good luck in Dallas!

Steve

Attachments

• Snowy Owl rear view.jpg
    Snowy Owl rear view.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 201
Amazing find, Steve! I'm new to birdforum, I actually joined today so that I could get more information on the Snowy Owl Irruption and possible locations to try and see one. Are you able to go into more detail on the location you found this owl?

Hi Julie and a warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach :t:

I'm truly hoping some of them make their way down towards my way.

Steve, that's a beautiful shot of this Owl.

How ironic. I just finished reading an online article about JFK airport authority - or whatever - shooting snowy owls for safety reasons.

Thanks, KC, glad to be here! I read that article this morning, heartbreaking that they would do such a thing when the owls could be humanely and peacefully relocated.

I'm sorry but I'm a strong believer in Nature comes first and I would love to see the Fed government involved in this. The birds were here long before we were so that should count for something.

Juliem19-
My wife and I, along with another birder, went to the Snowy Owl site the day it was first reported. The farm owner actually had been seeing the bird several days before but didn't report it until he saw a birding group in an adjacent pasture. He knew it was unusual but probably didn't know the excitement it would cause. He handled it well and was very permissive.
A search on eBird for a western NC Snowy Owl will have some good locators. I heard yesterday it had moved slightly from the location where we saw it. Try following or posting in Carolina Birds newsgroup for fresh information. Here's a link to suscribe:
http://www.carolinanature.com/birds/cbirds.html

Attachments

• Snowy Owl site.jpg
    Snowy Owl site.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 183
Just posted on Carolina Birds - the Owl I reported was taken to a rehab center as it was too weak to fly.

Steve

LOL! I did but I also saw the email about the Owl from Simon this a.m. who is also in Asheville ;) and that was the only one about the injured Owl.

From reports I've read, this may not be the end of everyone's chances for Snowy Owls in the mountains. I've heard the irruption is likely to continue.
If the Owls are here because of lack of food, will other raptor/rodent eaters also be showing up?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back