• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher for ID (Israel) (1 Viewer)

Orvany24

Hello.

Couldn't get a back angle shot. Only front and flank.

I lean towards a female European Pied FC due to the (Quoting Opus) "very insignificant pale vertical mark leading from the white wing bar - in the female Collared this is noticeably broader and leads almost to the edge of the wing".

I know the dark plumage tone is also a distinct feature for this species but I personally struggle with tone distinction.

What do you say?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5-14-2018 8-59-17 PM.jpg
    5-14-2018 8-59-17 PM.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 5-14-2018 8-57-35 PM.jpg
    5-14-2018 8-57-35 PM.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 49
  • 5-14-2018 8-54-38 PM.jpg
    5-14-2018 8-54-38 PM.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 5-14-2018 8-56-42 PM.jpg
    5-14-2018 8-56-42 PM.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 5-14-2018 9-23-57 PM.jpg
    5-14-2018 9-23-57 PM.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 21
I'm wondering if the suggestion of a median covert bar, long white UTC's combined with the white bar from the primary coverts...might be a better fit for female Semicollared Flycatcher?

Cheers

I'm wondering if the suggestion of a median covert bar, long white UTC's combined with the white bar from the primary coverts...might be a better fit for female Semicollared Flycatcher?

Cheers

Is the plumage tone on head and back of this individual distinct enough to break the tie?

Quoting Opus on European Pied FC: "Adult Female: olive-brown above".

Adding another photo of nape.

Last edited:
Is the plumage tone on head and back of this individual distinct enough to break the tie?

Quoting Opus on European Pied FC: "Adult Female: olive-brown above".

Adding another photo of nape.

It does appear to have a "grey" tint to the collar/nape, another supporting feature or perhaps too close to call?

Cheers

Tertials pattern isn’t great for a female Semi-collared and the lack of primary patch isn’t ideal either. Beside the photo in post #5 appears to show a different bird...possibly a Spotted flycatcher.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back