• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon G3 (1 Viewer)

Mickey

Hi Everyone, I live in Norfolk and would like to get into digiscoping . I have a Canon G3 digital camera,has anyone used this model with a scope, if so what do I need to get started. Scopes seem to be a lot of money so I thought I would try and get a secondhand one. Any advice would be most grateful, Regards Mickey.

Hi Mickey, a big welcome to you on behalf of all the moderators and admin at Bird Forum.net.
Although the Canon G3 is a very nice camera for most aspects of photography, it's not a popular choice for digiscoping. You are likely to get vignetting problems with this camera with most scope eyepieces.
You would be better off looking for a scope with a low magnification and long eye-relief eyepiece... something like a 20x e.p.

Another alternative is to purchase an eyepiece specifically aimed at digiscopers.... these are very low magnification compared to standard birding eyepieces but do allow digiscoping-unfriendly cameras to get an non-vignetted view.
Sorry to be a bit pessimistic, but digiscoping may be a bit of a struggle with the lens geometry of the G3.
Regards,
Andy

Sorry

Sorry Andy,Many thanks for your help also, Looks as though there is hope for the Canon G3 for digiscoping, but will cost some as I do not have a scope yet. Regards to all.

Canon G2 with Pentax PF-80 ED

I use a Canon G2, MaxView 40, with a Pentax PF-80 ED. Works great! With the Pentax you can use 1-1/4" telescope eyepieces so you can change your view.

The Canon has a large lens so you will need the MaxView 40. The MaxView 40 allows some zoom movement without vignetting. When fully zoomed out there is no vignetting at all.

The Pentax is a very nice scope and very bright...even in low light conditions.

Hope that gives you hope :)

Attachments

• img_1918.jpg
    img_1918.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 403
Hi Andy, Have today got a second-hand Opticron HD Scope Model No:AA64-60SR, eyepiece has on it 50S-18X, 60S-W22X. Is this OK for Digispotting and what else do I need to connect Canon G3 to scope, any info on this scope would be great as there is no instruction book. Regards and thanks to all. Mickey.

I have been contemplating changing cameras recently and the G3 is the one I have been looking at. (I may be ordering one from the US this week as this will save me about £70 - £80 on the cheapest UK price - even taking into account the VAT that may be added when it arrives. I have discovered that digital cameras have a 0% import duty rate.)

The Scopetronix website is very confusing with all the various adapters to choose from. I was looking at the MaxView 40, but I'm not sure that it will fit my scope as the Opticron ES80 has a screw in eyepiece. My only choice, after exchanging emails with the company, would be the Uni-T Adapter and the necessary Canon adpater kit.

As to the quality, I met someone on Sunday while on the GGBC who was simply holding a G2 up to his scope eyepiece. He tried the same with my scope and the resulting picture was pin sharp. When zoomed in (or cropped in Photoshop) the vignetting was not a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back