• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper Line Changing? (1 Viewer)

BruceH

Is the Vortex Viper line about to be upgraded or replaced?

Cameraland, Eagle Optics, B & H Photo and the Sportsman's Warehouse all have Vipers on sale and the 8X32 Viper is now shown as discontinued on the Vortex website.

Most sites are showing the 10X42 for sale at $499 compared to the normal price of $599. (B & H is at $449.) Ten percent off would be a more normal sale so this strikes me as a closeout.

Anyone have any info? The Viper line is due for an overhaul and Vortex has been going to a more sleek design.

Is the Vortex Viper line about to be upgraded or replaced?

Cameraland, Eagle Optics, B & H Photo and the Sportsman's Warehouse all have Vipers on sale and the 8X32 Viper is now shown as discontinued on the Vortex website.

Most sites are showing the 10X42 for sale at $499 compared to the normal price of $599. (B & H is at $449.) Ten percent off would be a more normal sale so this strikes me as a closeout.

Anyone have any info? The Viper line is due for an overhaul and Vortex has been going to a more sleek design.

More info might emerge at SHOT during this week.

Lee

I opined in another thread a week or two ago that this was probably the next line to get the upgrade treatment...I'd still say that's a good prediction...

looking at the 2017 catalog on vortexoptics.com, they don't show any viper x32. Would be shocked and disappointed if they got rid of those.

show 6x32 and 8x32 as discontinued on website as well

wow

Last edited:
looking at the 2017 catalog on vortexoptics.com, they don't show any viper x32. Would be shocked and disappointed if they got rid of those.

show 6x32 and 8x32 as discontinued on website as well

wow

The 32mm Vipers are indeed discontinued. I called EO months back about it and they said Vortex discontinued them. But, maybe the 32's will make a comeback when a new Viper line is introduced. But, for the current viper model, the 32mm is no longer being made. That's why I grabbed a demo 6x32 a while back from CameraLand. I doubt the new Viper line will offer 6x again (if they even offer 32mm again).

The 32mm Vipers are indeed discontinued. I called EO months back about it and they said Vortex discontinued them. But, maybe the 32's will make a comeback when a new Viper line is introduced. But, for the current viper model, the 32mm is no longer being made. That's why I grabbed a demo 6x32 a while back from CameraLand. I doubt the new Viper line will offer 6x again (if they even offer 32mm again).

I have a 6x32 non HD and it is a fine binocular. I won't be getting rid of it

Vortex has now gotten rid of the talon 8x32, viper 8 and 6 x32 with only remaining 8x32 and 8x28 in the diamondback line. That's it for their lineup unless you go to the porro which are unusable in cold temperatures we see in Wisconsin for 5 months a year.

I have a 6x32 non HD and it is a fine binocular. I won't be getting rid of it

Vortex has now gotten rid of the talon 8x32, viper 8 and 6 x32 with only remaining 8x32 and 8x28 in the diamondback line. That's it for their lineup unless you go to the porro which are unusable in cold temperatures we see in Wisconsin for 5 months a year.

yeah I'll be hanging on to my 6x32 probably forever...these are becoming so rare now.

Yes indeed, the original 6X32 Vipers were discontinued some time ago. There are still a few listed as NEW on eBay but, the sellers are not dummies and prices are upwards of $600! If you love these glasses and are looking to replace or have a spare, there's your chance.

They have been replaced by, in my opinion, a much less quality pair of optics. Not as nice glass, lower build quality and, most important to me, not nearly as close focus MFD!
The replacements are much less in price however!

I've done some research and found out that Vipers HD made from Mid 2016-2017(now) are now made in China, and no longer by Kamakura.

Could this be the reason so many models have been killed off?

Sounds like those lifetime warranties are a step closer to being no good.... which almost always seems to be the case!

My .02,

CG

Sounds like those lifetime warranties are a step closer to being no good.... which almost always seems to be the case!

My .02,

CG
Why is that? I know somone who had a Gen 1 Razor and when he sent it in for warranty work they offered either a repair or an upgrade to a Gen 2 (razor HD). I don't see why upgrades or changes to the model would void the warranty.

Why is that? I know somone who had a Gen 1 Razor and when he sent it in for warranty work they offered either a repair or an upgrade to a Gen 2 (razor HD). I don't see why upgrades or changes to the model would void the warranty.

Let me ponder this as I dig out my lifetime warranty craftsman tools, USA made and manufactured that now get replaced (oh, excuse me, I think it is called upgraded) with a china import of lesser quality...; to break down my lifetime warranty waterbed which both the retailer and manufacturer are nowheres to be found...; as I think about fishing with my USA made and manufactured graphite fly rod which I love dearly that has amazing intangible qualities that set it apart from all others (ok, just the 70 or so I've owned and tried) which will now (20+ years later) be replaced by the current mojoless upgrade, if I should ever break it...but on the bright side at least it will get replaced (for the moment) and is not the other lifetime warranty brand that is as extinct as the bed maker...

Sorry, I just don't buy into the lifetime warranty thing. Short term and long term usually yield very different outcomes.

My .02,

CG

I contacted the Canadian office of Vortex and they said the Viper line was not being redesigned (at least not the 8x42 and suppose(?) the same for the rest of the Viper line?).

Viper 6x32 HD is my favorite binocular. I can get rid of my other binos but not the 6x32 HD. Perfect hold comfort and very sharp image. If you want a very high quality 6x binocular for stable relaxed view, take the chance and get Viper 6x32 HD before it's too late!
I actually consider to get the 10x50 version as a higher power and astronomy complement, it's now available at lower price. Having two models of the same serie and design would be nice!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back