• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fish(?) bones-Alabama, USA edition (1 Viewer)

lashinala

I found these in fresh water, close to a bald eagle's nest. Anyone have an idea what they are from?

Attachments

• guntersville3.jpg
    guntersville3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 85
  • guntersville4.jpg
    guntersville4.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 80
  • guntersville5.jpg
    guntersville5.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 86
  • guntersville7.jpg
    guntersville7.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 84
  • guntersville6.jpg
    guntersville6.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 81
Pending my last post, and as per shot #3, I think you're looking at the base of the skull and trailing vertebrae, left to right, of a large fish.

Shall we assume "catfish" pending more photos and measurements?

Best I can do is the 3 others pics...it looks like maybe the back of the skull is broken off and the evenly curved part at the end is a snout of some sort (I could be wrong). total length of skull is 9 inches.
The bones have that odd 'fibrous' look of a fish, but I'm not sure. We were around a quarter mile from Guntersville dam, so water could be up to 80 feet deep in the middle of the channel in that area. We found lots of loggerhead musk turtles shells also, several with talon/beak marks on them...very interesting.

Attachments

• guntersvillebone1.jpg
    guntersvillebone1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 68
  • guntersvillebone2.jpg
    guntersvillebone2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 65
  • guntersvillebone8.jpg
    guntersvillebone8.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back