• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (1 Viewer)

A two-falcon day today. I participated in a local Christmas Bird Count and added two falcons to my Year List, which is now up to 226.

225. Merlin
226. Peregrine Falcon

The Merlin was seen in West Virginia, and was a state lifer, but unfortunately the Peregrine Falcon was seen just across the state line in Pennsylvania and therefore was not a West Virginia state lifer, but was still a great bird to see.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I pulled up the site where I saw the Peregrine Falcon on Mapquest and it turns out that I saw it just this side of the West Virginia state line, so it was a state lifer after all.

Dave

Last edited:
I've spent the last week and a half in London, where bad weather and family commitments have combined to eliminate birding trips. I have seen a few birds in the area where we've been staying, though.

New birds for the year:
Robin
Blackbird
Carrion Crow
Black-headed Gull
Little Gull
Woodpigeon
Goldcrest
Gray Heron
Cormorant
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Ring-neck Parakeet
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Little Grebe
Coot
Moorhen
Long-tailed Tit
Mute Swan

It has been nice to see some familiar birds, too:
Magpie, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, Canada Goose, Mallard, Gadwall.

As on my last couple of trips to England, I haven't seen a single House Sparrow. Sad!

Jeff

Unless something unusual shows up in the next three days, I've probaby seen my last new bird of the year.

This morning I went to a cemetery in a nearby town where a bumper crop of cones on the large spruce trees throughout the cemetery have attracted crossbills. The birds have been there for the last month and a half or so, and this was my fourth trip there. Finally saw a flock flying overhead and one bird perched at the top of a tree.

227. White-winged Crossbill

Dave

It looks like my total for 2012 Missouri birds is going to be 265. The last bird I had for 2012 in Missouri was on November 28th, a Common Redpoll. * I would not mind picking up an Evening Grosbeak, Bohemian Waxwing or something else before year's end, but I think that is rather improbable!

I will be starting my 2013 Missouri list on January 1st by doing a Christmas Bird Count in the vicinity Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, Missouri.

I've spent the last week and a half in London, where bad weather and family commitments have combined to eliminate birding trips. I have seen a few birds in the area where we've been staying, though.

New birds for the year:
Robin
Blackbird
Carrion Crow
Black-headed Gull
Little Gull
Woodpigeon
Goldcrest
Gray Heron
Cormorant
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Ring-neck Parakeet
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Little Grebe
Coot
Moorhen
Long-tailed Tit
Mute Swan

It has been nice to see some familiar birds, too:
Magpie, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, Canada Goose, Mallard, Gadwall.

As on my last couple of trips to England, I haven't seen a single House Sparrow. Sad!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Are you sure about that Little Gull? It would be a rather improbable bird for London unless it was on a large reservoir and even then it would be notable.

385. Hen Harrier on Whixall Moss

Probably my last one for the year if I don't go for the Caspian and Yellow-legged Gulls at the other side of the County.

Woohoo! Spluttered and stuttered over 200 for 2012 in the last couple of weeks, with the same great northern diver as Gill a couple of weeks ago, and, finally, the "easiest" missing bird from my year list, a kingfisher earlier this week. Of these 200, 158 were in the UK

I don't want to even think of my 2012 list, it is as abysmal as my 2011 list. None of us want to get old (well the alternative is worse), but I can't wait to retire in the summer of 2014 so I can get out much more and really see some birds.

Well....that's 2012 over B :) Grand total finished at 145 which has beat all my previous years BUT I still managed to miss a few easy species which I really shouldn't have! :-C

2013 will be LOTS better and I'm aiming to crash through that 150 barrier :-O

Happy New Year Everyone! :king: B :)

Finished on 279 for the year which smashed my target...lot's of trips and a few dips.
looking forward to 2013 and what ever that brings.

Happy Birding !

final tally today, I could be bothered to go out after all!

386. Common Kingfisher (completely rediculous that it took this long!)
387. Yellow-legged Gull

Also added Tree Sparrow to my UK list which ends up on a frustrating 199, another stupidly late tick!

OK, a final summary....

Total species seen: 204

The primary list was my UK list, which totalled 158

But also....

Switzerland: 30 species (5 of which were unique for 2012)
France: 26 species (2)
Sweden: 22 species (1)
Denmark: 22 species (1)
Spain: 80 species (34)
Norway: 30 species (none!)
Germany: 50 species (3)

Highlights were:
- watching trees full of crossbills and siskins at Harwood Forest in Northumberland in April, after a long haul up into the hills from Morpeth on my bike through wind, snow, sleet and rain
- two short-eared owls and then a marsh harrier over the small Bothal pond, within a week of each other.
- very close views of a black woodpecker in the mountains of Switzerland during a business trip, after my boss very kindly arranged our summer "team meeting" at a ski resort!
- finding a field full of glossy ibis early one morning while out on my bike on holiday in Spain - strange, shiny silhouettes shimmering through the low, early morning mist!

My best year so far: 542 species seen or heard in 2012, of which 137 lifers.

I did a lot of work related travel and managed to get out a sunday here and there, which helped to find a lot of new birds. Also I did a nice trip to SE-Asia for a few very good birds I still wanted to find.

Europe: 209 (most birds around Bodensee in Austria, Germany and Switzerland, plus more in Moldova, Croatia, Kosovo, Italy and France)
Cambodia: 135
Vietnam: 120
Nicaragua: 95
Botanical Gardens in Dkaka: 36

Florian

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back