• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broken diopter in old binoculars, can it be fixed? (1 Viewer)

namocol

Greetings from Venezuela.

Sorry if this isn't the place, I found this forum looking for information about my case in google.

I was looking for some old stuff and found a set of Zenith 8x30 binoculars my father bought about 30 years ago (he died 20 years ago), but the diopter is broken

http://imgur.com/1SDqzTU

The image looks great from either left or right eye, and both can focus perfectly, but it's obviously impossible to look with both eyes at the same time since one will always be out of focus.

I'm a complete binoculars newbie other than knowing how to look trough them (just today I learnt that that thing was called diopter), but I'd like to know if there was any way to fix them myself, mostly out of nostalgia since I remember when I went with my father to buy them when I was 10.

Another reason why I want to see if I could fix them myself is that I live in Venezuela, there's really no place I know in this city where I could send them to be fixed, and sending them anywhere else would probably cost more in shipping than getting new ones, and knowing the venezuelan postal system, with a big chance of them getting lost before they even left the country.

Welcome.
I am not a repairer and could not see the photo.
Are there small grub screws on the dioptre that can just be tightened with a tiny screwdriver to grip and move the dioptre instead of freewheeling?
Someone with repair knowledge will probably advise you.

Hi,
Take the rubber eyecup off (it will pull off or unscrew). Underneath you should see 3 small screws. Turn the right side lens until the image matches the one on the left, put the dioptre ring back in place (line the "0" position up with the dot below it) and then tighten the 3 screws to hold it in place.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back