• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (3 Viewers)

This morning Bourn Brook Kingfisher by the blue bridge.
Yesterday it was briefly in the valley.
The River Rea Kingfisher was at Ten Acres this morning.
There was a group of 8, maybe more Bullfinch.

Yesterday morning first thing the Kingfisher went under the blue bridge & stopped further up to dive for a fish.
Then there was a Female Bullfinch.
This morning the same area I saw the male Bullfinch.
The Little Egret was back again, I have seen it in Woodgate Valley as well.

I searched high and low for a Kingfisher today lol.
Plenty of stickleback in the Bourn Brook & River Rea plus the stream that runs through Wychall Res.
In the end I came back to the Bourn Brook by the roundabout & concrete inlet & there was a Kingfisher.
I got pretty close to it and it didn't initially fly off. When it did it gave a couple calls.
https://flic.kr/p/RN97aj

After the no show of a Kingfisher yesterday on the River Rea, the Kingfisher was today sat waiting for me by Dogpool Lane lol.
Funny how sometimes you just turn up and there they are.
it was even better as this one was in fishing mode and dived a few times before it caught a fish.
It did not seem bothered by me taking photos or by a dog walker struggling with their big dogs.
It was great to watch. After the first couple unsuccessful dives it patiently sat on the flood defence wall before making another dive and catching a fish. It then took it's time stunning it and was still doing it a few minutes later until swallowing it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/46572804871/in/datetaken-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/46517279262/in/datetaken-public/

First thing it was good to see a single female Goosander on the River Tame by the River Rea down from Spaghetti Junction.
Then there were upto 10 Goosander on Aston Resorvoir.

The surprise of the day was a very brief view of a Sandpiper. Most likely a Green I assume from checking BTO, on the River Rea viewed from the bridge over the River Rea, next to the new Longbridge shopping centre on the old Rover site. Probably a one off sighting, given the limited views and access.

Last edited:
Kingfisher sat waiting on the Bourn Brook walkway, blue bridge.
Then Kingfisher at the River Rea Dogpool Lane bridge, flood defence.
More Little Egrets appearing, two on the Bourn Brook and one on the River Rea.
A Buzzard in Kings Norton playing fields & a Kingfisher on the stream through Wychall Res.

The Kingfisher was by the blue bridge at the Bourn Brook walkway yesterday. Two Little Egrets.
Sticklebacks by the roundabout & a Heron.

Yesterday the Bourn Brook and River Rea Kingfisher again.
Bumped into some people looking for the Kingfisher on the River Rea and then 5 minutes later they saw it.
So that was good.

Yesterday & Friday the Bourn Brook walkway Kingfisher.
Yesterday the River Rea, Ten Acres Kingfisher.
It might have flown on to Stirchley.

I went out for a cycle ride just after midday.
The Bourn Brook walkway Kingfisher was visible from the footpath.
Then at the Ariel aqueduct another Kingfisher.
Couldn't find a River Rea Kingfisher. I thought it might be at the back of Lifford. I.was right there was the Kingfisher. Great!

On Saturday there was a Kingfisher on the canal at Brandwood End, not far from Lifford. Reported on BTO.
That's a few times, seen along the canal recently.
That could be 3 or 4 in a few miles area.

A walk along my favourite Bourn Brook walkway lol.
Looking high and low for the Kingfisher lol.
It was not by the blue bridge or the roundabout.
I had a feeling it would be opposite the old Reservoir.
And there it was lol, yep by the old res.
Great!

Kingfisher in the rain just now. Almost perched in the water on the very low branches in the left corner of Mill Shrub at Bittell...

Kingfisher in the rain just now. Almost perched in the water on the very low branches in the left corner of Mill Shrub at Bittell...

Nice one Keith!
I was struggling to find the Bourn Brook walkway Kingfisher when similar to yours it flew out, almost water level.
Earlier had a surprise when a Buzzard flew out of the Bourn Brook, it went around me & off down the brook.
Another surprise 2 Kingfisher either side of the Dogpool Lane bridge at the River Rea.
Little Egrets flying high & fast towards Woodgate Valley.
Another 2 on the River Rea.
My back garden is getting good with 2 Nuthatches on my feeders. A male Blackcap & Male & Female Chaffinch as well.
I also found Greenfinch & Chaffinch along the Bourn Brook.

Nice one Keith!
I was struggling to find the Bourn Brook walkway Kingfisher when similar to yours it flew out, almost water level.
Earlier had a surprise when a Buzzard flew out of the Bourn Brook, it went around me & off down the brook.
Another surprise 2 Kingfisher either side of the Dogpool Lane bridge at the River Rea.
Little Egrets flying high & fast towards Woodgate Valley.
Another 2 on the River Rea.
My back garden is getting good with 2 Nuthatches on my feeders. A male Blackcap & Male & Female Chaffinch as well.
I also found Greenfinch & Chaffinch along the Bourn Brook.

2 chiffchaff along the Bourn Brook walkway today ( 21/1) near the blue bridge also kingfisher nearby and little egret between Harborne Lane and Aston Webb Boulevard.

Early this morning the first Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook by the roundabout & Ariel aqueduct. It didn't fly up the brook or under the tunnel, it went up & over the tunnel but under the aquaduct. I guess it then continued down the Bourn Brook.
The second Bourn Brook Kingfisher was on the inlet to the brook where the Welches brook joins from the golf course.
Then in the afternoon I found the River Rea Kingfisher at a regular spot by Ten Acres.

Last edited:
After the overnight rain Saturday I could not find the Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook yesterday. The water remained brown. I thought the River Rea would be worse but fond the Kingfisher on a slow & shallow stretch down from the Dogpool Lane bridge. Funny enough it was in exactly the same spot as last Sunday at approx. the same time. Great!

Good walk along the Bourn Brook walkway today.
It was great to see a Kestrel. It flew off towards Weoley.
I couldn't find the Kingfisher until out the corner of my eye I saw it dive in the distance by the big pipes. Great!

Yesterday the Bourn Brook Kingfisher was by the university. Not seen one on that stretch for ages.
Couldn't find it today so headed to the River Rea.
Found a Little Egret at the far end of Ten Acres and what flew out a Kingfisher. Female as well.
Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back