• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iran, Land of Enchantment (1 Viewer)

Jos, did you come across any wildlife/bird conservation of any description on your trip to Iran.
Looking forward to the rest of your grand tour write up.

Jos, did you come across any wildlife/bird conservation of any description on your trip to Iran.

To a degree - there are protected areas and national parks, but to what extent they are actively protected is another question, eg at Lake Arzhan, winter poaching of wildfowl occurs despite its protected status. Shooting and hunting is popular across the country, I have no idea how responsible or otherwise the shooters are, whether they target species indiscriminately or not - I would imagine there are a fair few species falling foul of them unfortunately. However, there are a few Iranian members on BF, they will probably be in a better position to comment on this than me.

Iran does have some successful and active conservation programmes - Persian Fallow Deer springing to mind (long thought extinct, then a small population rediscovered and subsequent conservation work bringing it back to reasonable numbers), also work is currently underway to save the Iranian Cheetah population, the number currently standing at a critical 60 or so, I believe.

Last edited:
It's a beautiful country with the most hospitable friendly people I have ever met.

With apologies to Jos, here is one of my favourite memories of Iranian hospitality. We were travelling in a very remote region and drove into a little village. We saw a few chairs and a table chairs outside a cafe, went to sit down and were quickly surrounded by almost everyone in the village. All the little kids, especially, came out to smile at the westerners. Using sign language we asked for four cokes and a little boy was sent down the road with a tray to fetch them. We drank them, still surrounded by the smiling watching crowd, and when we got up to go, it slowly became apparent that we weren't at a cafe at all, we had just sat in someone's front garden. The house owner absolutely refused to take any money, and the whole village waved us off down the road. I often wonder what the typical British reaction would be to an Iranian family sitting in the front garden and demanding four cokes!
Truly amazing hospitality.

It's a beautiful country with the most hospitable friendly people I have ever met.

With apologies to Jos, here is one of my favourite memories of Iranian hospitality. We were travelling in a very remote region and drove into a little village. We saw a few chairs and a table chairs outside a cafe, went to sit down and were quickly surrounded by almost everyone in the village. All the little kids, especially, came out to smile at the westerners. Using sign language we asked for four cokes and a little boy was sent down the road with a tray to fetch them. We drank them, still surrounded by the smiling watching crowd, and when we got up to go, it slowly became apparent that we weren't at a cafe at all, we had just sat in someone's front garden. The house owner absolutely refused to take any money, and the whole village waved us off down the road. I often wonder what the typical British reaction would be to an Iranian family sitting in the front garden and demanding four cokes!
Truly amazing hospitality.

Spot on :t:

Ah Jos, glad you had an amazing time. This is how all travelling should be done - you're an inspiration to me and I hope a hell of a lot more like-minded people! Tour companies and their over-inflated prices be damned!! Great to read about this trip

Really a truly inspiring read Jos, I've read every word. And I can agree with you about Iranian friendliness, I was there for a year in the 70s and about western misconceptions of the country. I look forward to the rest of your travelogue and pictures.

16 August. Bandar-e-Khamir.

40 C again, humidity much the same, another day of birding 'punishment' in store. For today's wanderings, I took a savari out of Bandar Abbas to the west, travelling approximately 90 km or so to the small town of Bandar-e-Khamir. Whilst the town itself is of little appeal, the shallow Khuran Straits offshore, separating Khamir from the island of Qeshm, are famed for the Harra Sea Forest, an immense mangrove forest of some 9000 hectares, the largest in the Persian Gulf. Just before reaching Bandar-e-Khamir, the green expanse stretches out. I jumped out of the savari and began to explore - access by boat would be preferable, but with some scrambling about, Red-wattled Plovers, Indian Rollers, Eastern Pied Wheatear and Southern Grey Shrike all encountered in the process, I finally managed to find a few vantage points. Birds similar to those of Soorgalm - a lot of Western Reef Herons and Indian Pond Herons, Spoonbill and Greater Flamingo, but here a few choice extras - amongst the tangles of mangrove roots, with White-breasted Kingfisher as a backdrop, three splendid Striated Herons, plus out in the channel beyond, a steady to and fro of a few terns - Swift Terns predominant, but at least two Lesser Crested Terns too. As the mid-morning sun began to crucify, the call of milk lured me away, flagging down a motorbike to take me the last few kilometres in Khamir itself. Found a shady place to gulp my nice cold milk down, Little Green Bee-eaters swooned in the heat, a Syke's Warbler flitted in the shrubbery above. Beyond blue waters beckoned, a pier jutting out and an old building offering the hope of shade. And out there I did sit and lay for a few hours, eight Crab Plovers edging closer with the rising tide, an Oystercatcher feeding on exposed sand, eight Terek Sandpipers nosing beneath fishing boats grounded and waiting the high tide. Eventually, fancying a change of location, I spied a motorbike passing nearby, he spied me and off we went ...unfortunately straight back into town, not the next pier as I'd hoped (I reminded myself I really should ask where they are going before blindly jumping on!). Not wishing to walk all the way back out again, I decided on a return to Bandar Abbas, so headed for the centre, the idea to catch a savari back. A local architect had other plans, seeing me walking under the shade of palms, he reversed back and offered me a lift ...a tour of the delights of Bandar-e-Khamir followed, a trip out to sulphur baths, then a hole where a meteor hit Earth and finally a stop for ice tea. Humbling me yet again, he then point-bank refused to allow me to pay my taxi back to Bandar Abbas, giving the money direct to the driver. Though savari taxis are reasonably inexpensive, this type of gesture just astounded me every time - I had expected great things of Iran, having heard so many good stories, but here I was at the end of my fourth day already in awe of the people, just nice.

Hot and sweaty back in Bandar Abbas, admired the gulls and terns again, returned to my cushy air-con pad, added more milk to the fridge, jotted up my notes and retired to bed, felt very content.

17 August. Bandar Abbas, Northbound.

With the main coastal birds already seen and already sure that I would be returning to Iran at a future date, I decided to leave the offshore islands of Qeshm and Hormoz to a cooler season, so this was to be my last morning in the oppressive heat and humidity of Bandar Abbas. Just after dawn, already 34 C, I settled myself down at the mouth of the Gursuzan Creek for close encounters with waders - a half dozen Terek Sandpipers, four summer-plumage Curlew Sandpipers and a Lesser Sand Plover just a few metres distant, with a good selection of other waders and waterbirds not far behind, including Greater Sand Plovers, a bevy of Western Reef Herons and my second House Crow of the trip. Just up the creek, plenty of Black-winged Stilts, three Marsh Sandpipers too, plus a Citrine Wagtail with two White Wagtails.

Midday, boarded a bus for the 440 km hop to Shahr-e-Babek, deep in the desert hinterlands and the locality I hoped to find Pleske's Ground Jay, the be-all and end-all of my trip to Iran. One hour into the journey, back to Bandar Abbas we had to go - the bus was turned back at a raod checkpoint for carrying contraband as best I could understand. Boxes offloaded, off we went again, only to meet a road accident in the rocky mountains - road blocked! 40 Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters wheeling in the sky, a European Roller heading south, progress was painfully slow. Arrived in Shahr-e-Babek at 10 p.m., pleasantly cool. Didn't even bother trying to find a hotel, walked out into the desert and camped.

Last edited:
A couple of the waders off Bandar Abbas seafront (city centre)...

Attachments

• Lesser Sand Plover iran 1.jpg
    Lesser Sand Plover iran 1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Terek Sandpiper iran 1.jpg
    Terek Sandpiper iran 1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 111
wowowo o:D
What a wonderful thread! When is an exciting if you wan't to know about your country from a foreign friend's (Jos) poit of view. nice words about the people of my country. tnx a million. agreed, almost nice people

Also you know many things about Iran e.g., Persian Fallow Deer program and etc. This year, I had a trip to Qeshm Island in sea turtle season. I had record a good NGO activities include villagers who try to rescue the egg, conserve againts Red Fox. Also I provide some shots and clip from female turtles. But here is not marine animals forum :king:

Looking forward to the rest of your fantastic tour write up.

A superb narration Jos!!!

I have had the pleasure of meeting a few Iranian medics in my time and have found them to be most personable and affable folk.

Forgive me for introducing a link into your most excellent report but there is an Iranian photographer who has galleries which are a fantastic showcase for this ancient and wonderful country: http://www.pbase.com/k_amj

Feel free to add pics, I think all on here are interested in the wider world of wildlife as well as birds. I hope Qeshm will figure on my next trip :t:

Jos
I'm sure every body like your nice article on birdwachering report, we are looking as well.
I hope I didn't create an illegal or unrelated post here. There are 4 shots, March 2010, sea turtles exit to seashore and search for good location, it seems humidity and slope are the most important factor in site selection for nest. The activities bagain after 10 PM and continue to 3~4 AM, I think the peak of nesting and laying are between 12~2.
Location: Qeshm, Shibderaz village, (Qeshm is greatest island in Persian Gulf, has 40 villages)

Description of pictures:
-tagging plates, gift from Australia embassy to Iranian NGO (a great gift for villagers)
- eggs protecting againts Red Fox, they need one month to hach, less than 50 m distance with water, easy and safe arrival to Persian Gulf
- eggs' collection via basket to move to fencing protected location

Attachments

• DSC01175.JPG
    DSC01175.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01185.JPG
    DSC01185.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01219.JPG
    DSC01219.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01198.JPG
    DSC01198.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 63
Superb reading - simply fascinating and how enlightening it is to see a nation of wonderful people unaffected by our evil western ways.

I am very envious of you Jos. A great read. If you ever publish a book of your travels, I will certainly buy it!

Forgive me for introducing a link into your most excellent report but there is an Iranian photographer who has galleries which are a fantastic showcase for this ancient and wonderful country: http://www.pbase.com/k_amj

And don't forget Birdforum's sister website World Photography Forum http://www.worldphotographyforum.com/ which has members from all over the world including Iran - check out members 'Mo' (user name 'mbkamrani') and 'Rahman Ebrahimi' for instance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back