• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (2 Viewers)

JHDraytonbassettpits

Siskin
Since 10/7/11 I have seen Siskin in North Warwickshire all singles flying over, this is unusual for this time of year, areas seen Bentley Park Wood and Atherstone Golfcourse and adjoining areas.
The Staffs forum reportng groups of 20 Siskins already North Staffs, so look out for larger groups of Siskin in August in Warwickshire.

Regards, John

It's hard to know if a bird is a migrant or resident, however migrant birds seem to appear in certain areas. If it's a none breeding habitat your well on your way.
In Warwcksire if you see Redstart, Whinchat, Wheatear at this time of year you know it's a migrant.
However at Middleton Hall farm today usually an area of a few resident Swallows seeing 150 in the air above the farm draws one to the conlusion they are migrants.
Also today I saw my first migrant Spotted Flycatcher on return.

Regards, John

Wood Warbler and Pied Flycatcher you might see one in Warwickshire in Spring but very rarely this time of year. They are long distance migrants most of them flying straight through to southern Europe.
My first migrant Whitethroat, 5 on 19/7/11 and 22/7/11 my first Lesser Whitethroat and 3 Redstart and Willow Warblers
Looking at the sighting's yesterday for Hengisbury head Dorset last stop before the continent. Wood Warbler 1, Pied Flycatcher 1, Redstart 4, Tree Pipit 14, Lesser Whitethroat 5, Whitethroat 130 and Willow Warbler 180. Note early Spring migrants Blackcap and Chiffchaff not moving yet.

Regards, John

In the neighbouring county of Oxfordshire
Today South Oxfordshire 17 Red Kites seen in an area and also a mininmum of 60 Red Kites following the plough with gulls and crows.

Regards, John

Just like to reassure you that people do read your thread! Well I do anyway :t:

unfortunately haven't seen anything yet i feel is worthy of posting on here, still new to bird watching you see!

Thanks for this thread anyway :king:

18/8/11 Tree Pipit over Mancetter Quarry, 3 Siskin upper coal spinney, Hobby over Purley Quarry, Mancetter Hills migrants 14 Yellow Wagtail and Pied Wags on the move with 13 seen adults and juveniles both species and a Willow Warbler in the hedge singing.

Regards, John

Today South Oxfordshire 17 Red Kites seen in an area and also a mininmum of 60 Red Kites following the plough with gulls and crows

Hi John does Oxford also come under VC38 or Wawickshire ????? :-O:-O:smoke:

Oxfordshire Kite report

Today South Oxfordshire 17 Red Kites seen in an area and also a mininmum of 60 Red Kites following the plough with gulls and crows

Hi John does Oxford also come under VC38 or Wawickshire ????? :-O:-O:smoke:

Hi Richard, Just shows what's in the next County and how good their numbers are, there has been a breeding attempt in South Warwickshire WMBC annual report and probably originated from the Oxfordshire/ Chiltern group.
You will find that modern bird organisations only record to modern county boundaries and did not follow the protocal of Fauna and Flora being recorded by the VC system which was present at Doomsday and before. Using the VC system easy comparison's of old records could be made.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back