• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaff (1 Viewer)

South Parish

This is a picture that was taken at the end of August, let me have your thoughts please.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff.JPG
    Chiffchaff.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 162
Agree with Robert. have you got fine tune on your camera? if your autofocus gave you a sharp focus in the viewfinder maybe you need to tweak it ...does anyone know if it should be a minus or a plus to get the lens firing on all cylinders?

Yep, it looks soft and out of focus as already mentioned. It also looks noisy for ISO 400, as it does not seem to be a big crop from the EXIF was it underexposed and then pushed in processing as this can cause noise. Also the bird needs more space to look into than it has behind it. Shame because the subject and habitat is nice.

Robert I see and understand what you are saying about the position of the subject thanks, thats poor composition. This shot was taken without the autofocus and the picture seemed to be crisp in the viewfinder Steve and I like to think my eyes are quite good. The camera is the D3000 and I'm not sure about fine tuning, will have a look at this. Roy you are right the subject was not heavily cropped as distance was only about 7-8m. The cropping was the only use of process for the final shot and being a relative newcomer to photographing birds I dont understand noisy. Thanks for all your constructive and helpful comments.

Even 20x20 vision will not give you sufficient evaluation of focusing thro' a 3" viewfinder, as you can now see on your big screen.
I don't have the info to give an accurate reason for this lack of sharpness throughout your image. That the foliage behind is sharper and the bird is not central, would suggest that the area your camera has picked as its point(s) of focus is one reason the bird's not sharp.
The main reason I think it's not sharp anywhere is probably linked to what Roy suggested in that the light was too low to give a high enough shutter speed for a hand held shot.......? It doesnt stop it being a good image, just that it's obviously not up to your own expectations..................
Hope that helps ...... Joe

Last edited:
Joe,

Thanks for that, it does help and clarifys for me possible reasons for soft image. It was an evening shot so light may just have been the reason for this, and yes it was a hand held shot so this further adds strength to that conclusion. Time for me to pay more attention to smaller detail when setting up shots.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Stan

Even 20x20 vision will not give you sufficient evaluation of focusing thro' a 3" viewfinder, as you can now see on your big screen.
I don't have the info to give an accurate reason for this lack of sharpness throughout your image. That the foliage behind is sharper and the bird is not central, would suggest that the area your camera has picked as its point(s) of focus is one reason the bird's not sharp.
The main reason I think it's not sharp anywhere is probably linked to what Roy suggested in that the light was too low to give a high enough shutter speed for a hand held shot.......? It doesnt stop it being a good image, just that it's obviously not up to your own expectations..................
Hope that helps ...... Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back