• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Framing q (1 Viewer)

mary99

Here is a picture of a fieldfare I've taken, the tree is quite 'sticky' and the apple is stealing the show a bit. Is there a better framing option than what I've gone for? If I try to crop the apple out the bird seems a little too big in the frame.

Attachments

• FF 3863 web1.jpg
    FF 3863 web1.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 62
  • FF3863 edit web2.jpg
    FF3863 edit web2.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 62
This is the crop I'd have done if it was my pic - ideally, if you get another chance, a photo of the bird interacting with the apple would be ideal!

I guess editing out, or toning down the colour, of the apple would be a sensible move, as it does draw the eye away from the bird somewhat.

Attachments

• FF%203863%20web1recrop.jpg
    FF%203863%20web1recrop.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
If you wouldn't mind a further question : )

Are these better pictures? They aren't as sharp but the bird is interacting with the apple.

Attachments

• FF3735 web.jpg
    FF3735 web.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 57
  • FF3775 edit web.jpg
    FF3775 edit web.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 69
Those two are what I was thinking of, great!

I guess it's largely personal preference, but I tend to go for 6x4 or 4x6 (didn't do that for "my" crop above, but I'm sure it's close to that); I'd also try to crop out the small twig at the bottom of the rh image.

The one with the bird looking at the fruit is by far the most interesting, although the focus does affect it!
With a placed fruit like that, which is clearly not part of the natural scenery, I guess you need to either have it completely out of the frame or completely part of the photo.
Otherwise the viewer sees the pic and instead of focussing on the bird, instead asks what the apple is doing there.

Just a bit of fun with content-aware fill and cloning in CS5.

I still think it looks a bit odd, even without the apple!

I like the RH pic of the pair you posted though.

Attachments

• Fieldfare no apple.jpg
    Fieldfare no apple.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back