• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2014 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

Here's to another spectacular year ahead for ALL BF Members across the world!:hi::hi::hi:

I hope that everyone a fantastic year of exciting new birds and mega's!:t:

Wishing you all joy, happiness and good health:bounce:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

My list should begin January 1st when I do a Christmas Bird Count in the Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, Missouri. (Weather and road conditions permitting!) Data accrued to go National Audubon Society.

Was going to say I know I'm ahead of GMT but unless my childrens calender has gone wrong not had Xmas yet so must be 2013 still....time to open another bottle me thinks!!!

Looking forward 2014, I am going to see if I can reach seeing 150 birds in Dorset failing that as many as I can :)

Have a good Christmas and New Year to everyone

Thats alright, last years list started 10 Dec 2012. That means Penny is eleven days late this year Still best to be early than late, you see more birds that. Merry Christmas and a bird filled New Year to each and everyone. Here's to a great year birding.

I'm going to try for a century on 1st January, no holds barred (i.e. not sticking to one county), hope the weather's going to be OK.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas!

John

Our city area has zero eBird checklists for last week of December so I will still be in "remove that last grey rectangle from the graph" mode for the next several days.
For the next year I hope our local birding group manages to organize group field trips in proper times of the year in proper places; some of these birders seem to be "species magnets" so being around them will guarantee a longer checklist LOL.

:-O At this time of year I couldn't give two hoots about Christmas...I'm just champing at the bit for January 1st to arrive o:)

My sentiments exactly. Ever since I became serious about doing a year list, New Year's Day has become my favorite holiday. I go to bed early on New Year's Eve so I can get out there early and with a clear head to get a good start on the year.

Each New Year's Day I try to see more species than I did on the previous New Year's Day, so on January 1 I hope to see at least 53 species. And I'll try to see more species in West Virginia in 2014 than I did in 2013. I'm currently at 201, so if I can get to 202 next year, it will have been a good year.

Dave

Last year on New Year's Day I tallied 49 species of birds. It will be interesting to see how many I get on January 1, 2014! 50 is a nice round number. ;)

I hope weather will be wonderful like today (and tomorrow, according to forecast). I think I will divide New Year's Day's watching into two days; daylight hours are too short to visit all four of my "home patches" (riverbank with huge waterbird flocks, Pygmy Cormorant roost site with passerine-rich thicket, forest and my neighborhood). If there is some freezing rain or gale-like winds I'll postpone the whole plan.

The 2014 notebook is now ready.... it takes a couple of hours to insert all the addresses and phone numbers (for when my mobile has no signal or runs out of battery), numbered bird, mammal and other year lists to be filled in as the year progresses and so on.

Ready for the First now (of January or for the British Isles, don't mind which.)

John

I always set out looking for a ton on JAN ONE
Last year delivered 94 and the last few always prove difficult but that's what makes it the hobby it is. Here's hoping for a good start as I challenge this years 283 total (with a "soft" two hour travel rule in place to protect my wallet from my obsession)

Happy Christmas to all year listers and good luck for 2014
Brian

What do you think your first bird of 2014 is going to be?

Its often Robin, but Blackbird is a good bet singing under the street lights.

Other than that a clucking Moorhen or Mallard on the brook is likely, though this year they were upstaged by a pair of Mute Swans.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back