• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Binocular Best Price. (1 Viewer)

The sickness ended,.for me personally with the Sightron Blue Sky ll 8x32.

I love the form, the precision, the perfect focus, razor sharp view, amazing contrast. The price was perfect, and for my use, I don't have more 'need' and thus I can pick up my bins and happily know I can nail finch IDs at 100 yards, and that's it.

I'm done binocular wise.

The sickness ended,.for me personally with the Sightron Blue Sky ll 8x32.

I love the form, the precision, the perfect focus, razor sharp view, amazing contrast. The price was perfect, and for my use, I don't have more 'need' and thus I can pick up my bins and happily know I can nail finch IDs at 100 yards, and that's it.

I'm done binocular wise.
I don't really think you can ID a bird any better with a $2K binocular than you can with a $200 binocular like the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32. It is more the person behind the binoculars than the binoculars themselves. I think the sickness for me comes from the fact that although I like birding my affinity for binoculars goes well beyond the fact that they are just a necessary tool for birding. I just like binoculars, telescopes and optics. I like to buy them and test them and compare them.

Last edited:
Dennis thanks for a great post and the info.
I like the view given by the silver prism coatings of my old B&L 7x42's so will go for the Atlas 7x36 for a glove box bino. At $200.00 you really can't go wrong.
Thanks again for a great post and very good, reliable info.
Art
I have never seen anything bad or unappealing about the view through a silver prism. I personally wouldn't pay the $100 to get a dielectric coated prism in this case. $200 is a good deal when these were $400 not too long ago.;)

I don't really think you can ID a bird any better with a $2K binocular than you can with a $200 binocular like the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32. It is more the person behind the binoculars than the binoculars themselves. I think the sickness for me comes from the fact that although I like birding my affinity for binoculars goes well beyond the fact that they are just a necessary tool for birding. I just like binoculars, telescopes and optics. I like to buy them and test them and compare them.

Ohhhhh scopes, now there is a sickness hahaha I've just had a Kowa 883 with 1.6 extender for a month. Holy shnizzle it's the sizzle. Talk about eye popping clarity, and at 96x on a sunny cold day, it's made my hands sweaty in anticipation.

This is not "best price" but the opposite. In all seriousness (this is not an April Fool) there are organisations offering bins on Amazon at ludicrous prices. People may have noticed this before of course, but I'd never seen anything like it until recently.They tend to be UK "store fronts" for dodgy outfits overseas. The attached examples show what I mean - they've now disappeared, but stayed up several days. It's to be hoped that no-one would ever pay prices like these (!) but the bad guys only have to strike lucky once to make it worthwhile. Slip of the cursor or whatever on the part of a buyer.

The one I wish I'd taken a screen dump for was the Zeiss Miniquick 5x10 monocular. The standard price is around £115. Someone was asking in excess of £8,000 (yup, over eight thousand UK pounds). Unfortunately I was stupid enough to pay over £200 for one which did arrive, but took a month to get here from the USA, and on which Royal Mail required me to pay customs duty before they'd let me have the thing. I did demand that the customs charge be refunded, which it was, but I was pretty annoyed with myself.

Attachments

• Zeiss 15x56.JPG
    Zeiss 15x56.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 169
  • Zeiss 8x56.JPG
    Zeiss 8x56.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 128
I have seen that happen with other products also. I just read something a awhile back about this-it said they may have only one left and hope somebody "bites" (usually on an almost un-replaceable item) or they have none but inflate the price to a ridiculous sum to "hold" their place on the search scoring (for number of of "hits").

I really like my Olympus Magellan 10x42 EXWP-I roofs. They fly under the radar, but are excellent and did very well in the review Allbinos conducted on them. I have the Chinese version but there is a Japanese model and both sell for around $200. I think they're better than my Sightron Blue Sky's.
I also have a pair of the 8x42 Magellan's I picked up used and they're great too!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back