• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NIKON introduces new Monarch HG 8x30 and 10x30 Binoculars (2 Viewers)

Not encouraging to hear that about the eye relief / eye positioning, David.

And very surprising to hear that the M7 8x30 was the sharpest of the 3 for you!

I was able to have a quick look at the 8x30 this morning. Compared to the Monarch 7 I thought the field was a little flatter and the edges sharper. The glare and CA were also improved but under the light conditions at the time, not as good as the CL. One little frustration was the eye position was really critical with my glasses. The margin between blackouts and narrowing the field of view was pretty much zero it seemed. The focus was very fast, less than 1/4 turn between 5m and infinity, with good resistance and smoothness, and very much to my taste.

The killer for me was that neither the HG or CL were as sharp as the Monarch 7. Others will have different priorities.

David

They are arguing over stuff like this down in the "Which Sub Alpha Bino" thread.

See posts beginning with #60 through #74 -- so far.;)

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=364627&page=3

Bob

Not encouraging to hear that about the eye relief / eye positioning, David.

And very surprising to hear that the M7 8x30 was the sharpest of the 3 for you!

The HG 8x42 wasn't as sharp as the EDG 8x42 and even the new CL 8x30 couldn't quite match the EL 8x32 for sharpness when I last looked, but the M7 comparison was a surprise. I'm pretty sure last time I compared the M7 and CL I thought the latter had the edge. Perhaps it was a cherry sample of the M7, or maybe a quirk of the light conditions. It was much brighter today than that last occasion.

David

It's 4 weeks and 66 postings since the thread started and much air has been expended without anyone having properly tested the new Nikon.
Is this really the way to present a balanced view on any new model.
Stan

The killer for me was that neither the HG or CL were as sharp as the Monarch 7. Others will have different priorities.

David

Typo,

I have at times felt the same about the center my Maven B3 8x30 when comparing to the CL 8x30, Victory Pocket 8x25, and Kowa Genesis 8.5x44. Something about it has me believin' I see a little more detail with it.

I know this likely goes against the grain...:loveme:

CG

Typo,

I have at times felt the same about the center my Maven B3 8x30 when comparing to the CL 8x30, Victory Pocket 8x25, and Kowa Genesis 8.5x44. Something about it has me believin' I see a little more detail with it.

I know this likely goes against the grain...:loveme:

CG

I don't think it's at all easy to deconstruct a gut feeling into an optical characteristic. We think the Maven B3 is twin of the Kite Lynx I'm more familiar with. I couldn't separate the Lynx from the M7 when I compared them on level of detail, but nevertheless the Lynx seemed sharper. I thought that might be due to both deeper contrast, and deeper hues at the red end of the spectrum. I've always felt the Genesis was top tier for resolution and contrast but a bit anaemic on colour. It's interesting how the different parameters tinker with our perceptions.

When it came to the MHG vs. M7 comparison this week, colour and contrast may well have played a role, but I felt the primary difference was effective resolution. The M7 might have been a cherry sample as I said.

David

I don't think it's at all easy to deconstruct a gut feeling into an optical characteristic. We think the Maven B3 is twin of the Kite Lynx I'm more familiar with. I couldn't separate the Lynx from the M7 when I compared them on level of detail, but nevertheless the Lynx seemed sharper. I thought that might be due to both deeper contrast, and deeper hues at the red end of the spectrum. I've always felt the Genesis was top tier for resolution and contrast but a bit anaemic on colour. It's interesting how the different parameters tinker with our perceptions.

When it came to the MHG vs. M7 comparison this week, colour and contrast may well have played a role, but I felt the primary difference was effective resolution. The M7 might have been a cherry sample as I said.

David

Outside viewing I've felt it in my gut. The other night I was laying on the couch holding each as steady as possible and looking into the kitchen and trying to decipher print on my big game licenses which are hanging on the refrigerator (black print on a fluorescent green field). The Maven B3 very slightly edged out the others each time I tried it. I don't know why, but it does. I'm wondering if actual magnifications on the others are a bit smaller than nominal, and the Maven a bit larger...???? :brains:

CG

CG,

I would be extremely surprised if the magnification was incorrect on any of those models. Even the budget models I've checked were spot on.

David

Magnification as measured by AllBinos:
Nikon Monarch-7 8x30
(which is "clones with" the Maven?)
7.95 +/- 0.05x
Kowa Genesis 8.5x44
8.36 +/- 0.15x.

You should disregard the Allbinos figures. They calculate the objective diameter divided by the exit pupil, as explained in their methods. This is incorrect. The magnification is the entrance pupil divided by the exit pupil. I have a Chinese 12x50 porro, and the objective is indeed 50mm and the exit pupil 3.33mm. That would be a 13.9x magnification by the Allbinos method. I measured the true entrance pupil at 42.5mm which gives 11.97x magnification. While the entrance pupil may often deviate from the stated objective diameter, all the binoculars I've checked have been within 0.1x of the stated magnification.

David

Thanks David.
That is a 15% difference between the obj. diam. and the entry pupil.
What do you reckon is very roughly the % range in "alpha" makes?
Adhoc
(BTW, in the figures I have quoted the stated x is within the +/- range.)

Adhoc,

The entry pupil error permitted by ISO14133-2 is +/- 2% but I would expect an alpha to be much less than that.

Allbinos don't explain the +/- but my guess is it's difference between the two barrels. That would suggest the Genesis exceeded the permitted magnification discrepancy by 240%:eek!::eek!: Just disregard the figures.

David

Last edited:
Anybody try the new Nikon Monarch HG 8x30? I want to know if it is going to be a "floater." In other words are the eye cups too short for the eye relief and are the eye cups "sinkers" meaning they are too small in diameter and they sink too far into your eye sockets.

I think if one has had no problems using the Monarch 7 8x30 one would not have any problems with using the Monarch 8x30 HG. I have the Monarch 7 and have no problems with it but I'm not going to purchase an HG version to compare them. That said, I also have the Monarch HG 8x42 and I have no problems using that one either.

I would be very surprised if the eye cups on the Monarch HG 8x30 were much different from those on the Monarch 7 8x30. They both have the same FOV of 8.3º. The ER of the HG 8x30 is 1.1mm longer than the M7s. The Monarch 8x30 HG also has a "field flattener lens system" which the Monarch 7 does not have.

The HGs dimensions are 119mm x 126mm x 47mm to the Monarch 7s 119mm x 123mm x 48mm, and it weighs 15.9 ounces to the Monarch 7s 15.3 ounces. It has a Magnesium Alloy frame. The Monarch 7's body is fiberglass-reinforced polycarbonate resin.

You can compare their pictures on the Nikon website. They are not identical but they are very similar in appearance.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch/index.page

Bob

Last edited:
I think if one had no problems using the Monarch 7 8x30 one would not have any problems with using the Monarch 8x30 HG. I have the Monarch 7 and have no problems with it but I'm not going to purchase an HG version to compare them.

I would be very surprised if the eye cups on the Monarch HG 8x30 were much different from those on the Monarch 7 8x30. They both have the same FOV. The ER of the HG 8x30 is 1.1mm longer than the M7s.

The HGs dimensions are 119mm x 126mm x 47mm to the Monarch 7s 119mm x 123mm x 48mm, and it weighs 450g to the Monarch 7s 435g.

You can compare their pictures on Allbinos. They are almost identical in appearance.

Bob
Ceasar. How do the eye cups on the M7 fit your eye sockets? Are they too small or do you use the brow technique? You don't get any black outs with the M7 because of too short eye cups? Thanks.

Ceasar. How do the eye cups on the M7 fit your eye sockets? Are they too small or do you use the brow technique? You don't get any black outs with the M7 because of too short eye cups? Thanks.

Dennis,

I use the "brow technique" with my M7 8x30 as I do with all my binoculars. I get blackouts if I place the eye cups back around my eye sockets. (With the single exception of the CL Companion 8x30 B, which I have discussed here before.)

The eye cups on my M7 8x30 are quite long enough for me to use the "brow technique" most anywhere on my eye brows.

As for their size or width or diameter; the eye cups on the Monarch 7 8x30 are almost exactly as wide as the eye cups on my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B. As I noted above, I can use that binocular with the eye cups back in my eye sockets.

Bob

PS: And yes, if I do place the eye cups of my Monarch 7 8x30 back around my eye sockets I do get blackouts!:eek!: I just checked it out.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back