• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NIKON introduces new Monarch HG 8x30 and 10x30 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

I would be surprised if it is anything that different than the 8X42 except smaller. Use the money and get a slightly used premium glass. Additionally if it is similar to the 8X42, it won't compare with the archived EDG 8X32 IMO.

Andy W.

Dennis,

I only tried the MHG briefly with glasses, but even though there is more ER than the M7, I thought the eye positioning was much more critical. The margin between blackouts and narrowing seemed zero to me. The CL was the most forgiving of the trio I tried.

David

Interesting, that eye placement on the MHG is even more critical than the M7. I agree that the new CL has the most forgiving eye placement of any 8x30 I have tried.

The Monarch 7s and Monarch HGs have too many similarities. All the specifications of the 30mm versions are very close to each other. Even the eye relief, which is longer on the HGs. The same goes for the 42mm versions (including longer ER for the MHGs) except that the FOV of the M7 8x42 is 8º compared to 8.3º for the MHG 8x42 and 6.7º for the M7 10x42 compared to 6.9º for the MHG 10x42.

I won't be surprised if the current Monarch 7 line of binoculars is replaced soon. They are competing with the Monarch HGs, head to head, at half their prices or less.

The even less expensive (20x56 excluded) Monarch 5 line of binoculars has only 4 choices: 8x42, 10x42, 12x42 and 20x56. It could be easily expanded.

Bob

Last edited:
If the M7 8x30 and the MHG 8x30 are that close in specifications it makes you wonder why the MHG is so much more expensive. Where did the extra money go? They both have ED glass. The MHG does have a field flattener lens but does that make it worth twice the price of the M7? The initial reviews are saying the M7 is sharper. I don't see the point of the new 8x30 MHG. Time will tell us more I guess.

Well the armor on the MHG likely will not fall off or peel, the eyepieces will not fallout, IMHO the M7 is the cheapest build quality Nikon has made with decent optics, the build construction is well below sub-par.

I will take the Fuji KF 8X32 wayyyyy before I ever look at another M7 8X30 from Nikon. Cheap quality, there I said it.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Frank's Blue Sky Sightron SII's and their clones like the Fuji never did it for me. I tried several. I felt they were not very bright and lacked contrast and the focus was on the tight side. I know, I know a LOT of other people liked them. I guess they are OK for a $200.00 binocular. I think the M7 has more pop if you can get use to the glare issues. Maybe the ED glass in the M7 makes the difference.

The M7 has decent optics, I said the build quality is sub-par. What I should of said is that the KF Fuji is better built.

Andy W.

If the M7 8x30 and the MHG 8x30 are that close in specifications it makes you wonder why the MHG is so much more expensive. Where did the extra money go? They both have ED glass. The MHG does have a field flattener lens but does that make it worth twice the price of the M7? The initial reviews are saying the M7 is sharper. I don't see the point of the new 8x30 MHG. Time will tell us more I guess.

Well, there is the Monarch HG's new Magnesium Alloy frame which had to cost more.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch-hg-8x30.html

Also the MHGs flat fields will (or should) work better with the wide FOVs.

As for smaller details note that the Monarch HG 8 and 10x42mm binoculars both have wider FOVs than the Monarch 7s do. (8.3º to 8.0º and 6.9º to 6.7º)

Bob

Last edited:

I have the M7 8X30. It's a $300.00 binocular. Period. One of the BETTER $300.00 binoculars but nothing more. I use it at my "expendable" binocular, when I'm a little too concerned about loss, damage, etc to a better binocular. It does a great job in that capacity.

Without ownership(yet), I'll take the bet that the HG 8X30 will better it in basically every way as the HG 8X42 does the M7 8X42.

That's an interesting first impression, though perhaps not an entirely fair comparison by putting it against the Swaro EL. I think we all could guess which way that one was going to turn out...

What will be more interesting for people like me, who have the Monarch 7 8x30, will be some worthwhile comparisons with that model. I'll bet I'm not alone in wondering whether it'll be worth the (considerably more) money to trade up to the Monarch HG.

That's an interesting first impression, though perhaps not an entirely fair comparison by putting it against the Swaro EL. I think we all could guess which way that one was going to turn out...

What will be more interesting for people like me, who have the Monarch 7 8x30, will be some worthwhile comparisons with that model. I'll bet I'm not alone in wondering whether it'll be worth the (considerably more) money to trade up to the Monarch HG.

The Swarovski binocular that the Monarch HG 10x30 should be compared against is the CL Companion 10x30 B. The Swaro 10x32 EL costs over $2000.00; more than twice as much as the Monarch HG 10x30.

https://www.allbinos.com/1893-Swarovski_CL_Companion_10x30_B-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

And the Monarch 7s are made in China while the Monarch HGs are made in Japan which also will affect their prices.

Bob
Or the new Swarovski CL's. I think that would be it's direct competitor. The HG's will probably be a good jump from the M7's and they would be worth it if they improve glare control over the M7's. I am kind of surprised Nikon priced the 30mm HG's the same as the 42mm. The 30mm M7's are less than the 42mm M7's. The smaller aperture Swarovski's like the 8x32 SV are less expensive than the 8.5X42 SV. Even with the smaller glass the manufacturing costs is probably about the same though.

Last edited:
Bob,

Are they really made in Japan?

Andy W.

Andy

"Made in Japan" is printed on my Monarch 8x42 HG on the bottom of the left tube. It is on the metal just below the left eye cup.

My Monarch 7 8x30 has printed "Made in China" on the bottom of the hinge on the left tube.

Bob

Or the new Swarovski CL's. I think that would be it's direct competitor. The HG's will probably be a good jump from the M7's and they would be worth it if they improve glare control over the M7's. I am kind of surprised Nikon priced the 30mm HG's the same as the 42mm. The smaller aperture Swarovski's like the 8x32 SV are less expensive than the 8.5X42 SV.

I guess, and it is only a guess; considering the legendary "inscrutability" of the Japanese;), that they are currently priced the same because the HG is now Nikon's top of the line binocular.

I expect that will change in the not too distant future. It is pretty evident from the number of binoculars that they archived recently that changes are in the works. After all, Nikon is entering its 2nd Century!:king:

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back