• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it a wild bird feeder? (1 Viewer)

natasha11

I found this in the house we recently purchased - it looks like a wild bird feeder, but I can't figure out how it works... The holes are to small for the birds to feed, I think. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3964.JPG
    IMG_3964.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 58
It is a thistle seed feeder. These seeds are very small and are favored by goldfinches and siskins, who will sit on the perches and happily pull out the seeds all day.
The seeds, also called nijer seed, can spoil if damp, so cleaning out this feeder and washing it with dilute bleach would be a good first step towards restoring it to service.
Good luck and please keep us posted!

Yes, etudiant has got it right ;)

Hi there Natasha and a warm welcome to you from and former New Yorker along with those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely restore the feeder and am sure we will enjoy feeding and watching the birds :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back