• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Database (1 Viewer)

I wrote my own (more as an exercise than anything), so I know a bit about this sort of thing. This certainly does a lot for not much money - the reporting looks good. The data input screens look as if they might be a bit slow - I designed mine to be more like a spreadsheet. This all assumes it does what it says (working in IT makes me suspicious - cynical some might say).

Other things that spring to mind immediately: if they change the software to some newer wizzy version will you be able to move easily to that (i.e. without rekeying); what sort of support will you get when it crashes; how will it handle (the increasing number of ) species splits - I had to structure my own system to allow for this.

Maybe people who have had experience with buying this type of software or have used this package will come up with other thoughts.

Thanks for your help , robinm + jeff . But I would still like to hear off someone , who has tried this software before trying elsewhere.

I,ve got Bird Recorder 32 for windows and it's very good.You can keep all sorts of records and lists,even mammals and butterflies.

i have just come in on this thread, and i am too looking at some software to record bird sightings and all forms of wildlife, and also to store photographs, and one i have come across is one called Mapmate (www.mapmate.co.uk) the RSPB have just started using this software for their reserves, has anyone else got this and what are your thoughts........

That Mapmate looks very interesting...
I would really like to know if anyone is using it
and what they think of it.

Petee,

I have been looking at it and just testing it at the moment, and my feeling is that it is very very good, i shall be setting it up properly over the nest week or so, i know that the RSPB are using it so it should be the real deal as far as recording all forms of wildlife are concerned. The sooner they get their user forum set up the better then there will be a network of users to talk to.

ahh handy!
im still inputting old data back to the beginning of the year!
It's taking me days heh.
If you figure out how to do a map for a species for a given month give me a shout! :)

I bought MapMate recently and have been quite impressed with the functionality - especially given the price. It should get even better in the future as there is talk of building in more GIS capabilities.

One thing - it is designed as a biological recording database and is (in my view) much stronger when dealing with specific sites. When birding - where we may have records all over the place which can lead to an awful lot of "sites" - eg, if you saw a Red Kite fling over would you want to record that at that specific location There are lots of other examples but I would still recommend it. it would be worth joing the MM-Users group in Yahoo where a whole host of similar issues are explored.

regards
Gordon

John D
Hi there I have a copy of the database that you refer to bought about a month ago. Now I am not probably the best person to say wether it is any good, no experience of other packages or databases. Having said that it seems to be a reasonable package for £35. Also you can import your own pictures to go along with yur sightings. This is the reason I purchased.

The one prob I have at the moment is that I do not think you can name your own lists. eg: I want to do a list for birds that I see from my bus (I drve a PSV up and down the Norfolk coast Hunstanton to Sheringham)

If you need any specific info let me know and I will try to see if it will accommadate.

But as I have said I am not really a list maker.

Peter

Hi Golfnut

The thought of you slamming the anchors on and stuffing the bus in the verge while running off with your bins, has made my evening.:eek!::eek!:

Dave

John,

I've been using this database for a while now, and am very pleased with it. It's easy to use and allows the importation of photos easily. I would have liked to have imported my original database from MS Access but it wouldn't allow me to do this. It has a good search function and the filters allow the setting up of as many lists as you would probably need. For the price, you probably can't go wrong.

Regards

Ken

Hi Geoff
Yes also Cley, Burnham Market and putting up with all the holiday GROCKLES.

And Dave I haven't had an accident for at least 2 days.

Pete:king:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back