Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Minor on cabanisii / cabanidis / cabanisi / Cabanisia

Old Monday 25th May 2020, 13:06   #26
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
As it took me some time to figure out a couple of words, here is a complete transcription of the death certificate, as to avoid that someone else might have to repeat the work. I think it's more or less correct -- but maybe Martin can check it to be sure ?

I am impressed that you could decrypt the Enigma Especially the "Gretchenfrage" from Goethes Faust was a real mystery to me. I read it as mannigfaltiger (or similar) which of course make no sense and not at all as evangelischer.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Monday 25th May 2020 at 13:19.
Old Saturday 30th May 2020, 08:31   #27
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Rounding off ...

Here's one more (last?) post, regarding Fräulein/Miss Cabanis (alt., from 1878; Frau/Mrs Reichenow), and the maria hybrid (dealt with in post #4-12). See:

Koch, A. 2018. Discovery of a rare hybrid specimen known as Maria’s bird of paradise at the Staatliches Naturhistorisches Museum in Braunschweig. Zoosystematics and Evolution 94 (2): 315-324 (here):
Quote:
In 1894, Anton Reichenow (1847–1941), then ornithologist and deputy director of the Museum für Naturkunde (= Museum of Natural History) in Berlin, described another new species, P. maria, based on a single male specimen from the Finisterre Mountain Range of the Huon Peninsula in north–eastern New Guinea, dedicating the species epithet to his wife Maria ...
... with several nice Plates and Photos!

Though; if the name of Reichenow's wife (alt. Cabanis eldest Daughter), was Olympie Charlotte Marie (1856–1940), and such seems to be the case, wouldn't "Marie's Bird of Paradise" be a more proper denomination for this bird/hybrid?

Simply as maria seems to be nothing but the Latin/latinized version of her true given name.

However; enjoy!

Björn
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: